Are you ready to launch your career in space? Do you have a passion for innovation in a hands-on environment with cutting edge space technology? As a Mechanical Technician, you will be using your skills and expertise to perform a variety of operations procedures including, but not limited to, assembling and/or creating major assembly structures and minor part-fitting operations for spacecraft landing gear and flight control systems. You'll translate blueprints into fabrications of mechanical assemblies on our Dream Chaser spaceplane.
Sierra Space, based in Louisville, Colorado with operations in Madison, Wisconsin and Durham, North Carolina, designs and manufactures advanced spacecraft, satellites, propulsion and environmental systems, spacecraft subsystems and components for the U.S. government (including NASA), commercial customers and international organizations. Learn more about Sierra Space
- Work from blueprints and approved technical documents to construct developmental assemblies, sub-assemblies and components.
- Complete parts lists, checks drawings, work within the systems to certify assemblies.
- Responsible for dismantling, repairing, fabricating, and completing mechanical assemblies.
- Use standard assembly tools and materials.
- May perform modifications and rework with oversight.
- Supporting work on electro-mechanical assemblies, landing gear, aircraft flight controls.
- Torquing, part-making and safety-wiring.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Associates in aviation maintenance (or certification including non-accredited trade schools) or comparable technical experience in welding, aviation, engineering or related fields.
- A higher level degree may substitute for experience
- Related experience may be considered in lieu of required education
- Ability to read and understand mechanical and electrical drawings, diagrams, schematics and manuals
- Ability to work with standard laboratory test equipment, other measurement equipment, hand tools, and power tools
- Experience with navigating 3-D CAD software
- Ability to work [Day Shift, Night Shift, Weekend Day, Weekend Night]
- Typically, four (4) or more years of relevant experience
- Previous experience and/or certifications within the aerospace and defense industry
- Previous experience in a manufacturing environment
- A&P certification preferred.
- Experience with respirator training, working in confined spaces, overhead/ Gantry crane operations.
- In addition to formal training in engineering or a hard science, a Master's degree in Engineering, Science, or Business Administration is desirable
- The ability to obtain and maintain a Security Clearance may be required. Learn more about the background check process for Security Clearances
To conform to U.S. Government international trade regulations, applicant must be a U.S. Citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State or U.S. Department of Commerce.
With 30+ years of proven spaceflight heritage, Sierra Space has provided more than 4,000 space systems, subsystems and components to customers worldwide, and participated in more than 500 missions to space, including to Mars. The company has technology in production and in development to enable space habitats for short- and long-duration space travel, a fleet of Dream Chaser spaceplanes, and the first free-flying commercial space station. Please visit www.sierraspace.com to learn more about Sierra Space, its business areas, capabilities, programs, products and services.
- Frequently walk, sit, stand, climb stairs and steps
- Frequently repeat same hand, arm, and finger motion many times to include finger and hand dexterity.
- Frequently requires vision abilities to include close, distance, depth perception, and telling the difference between colors.
- Frequently requires hearing abilities to include discerning different tones and volumes.
- Frequently lifting or carrying up to 50 lbs.
- Occasionally exposed to outdoor elements (high/low temperatures, sun, rain/snow, etc.)
- Occasionally exposed to fumes or hazardous chemicals/materials
- Occasionally exposed to loud noises
Safety Sensitive Position:
- Responsible for the safety and security of people or property
- Inspects, handles, or transports explosives, dangerous or hazardous materials.
- Inspects structures, equipment or vehicles.
- Performs Aviation related duties.
- Operate or supervise vehicles, heavy or dangerous equipment or machinery.
Estimated Starting Salary Range: $32.25 - $44.35. Sierra Space considers several factors when extending job offers, including but not limited to candidates’ key skills, relevant work experience, and education/training/certifications.
Sierra Space offers a generous benefit package, including medical, dental, and vision plans, 401(k) with 150% match up to 8%, life insurance, 3 weeks paid time off, tuition reimbursement, and more.
At Sierra Space, our mission is to dream, innovate, inspire and empower the next generation to transform humanity through technology and imagination. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we welcome our employees to bring their whole selves to their work. Sierra Space is committed to fostering an inclusive, accepting, and diverse environment free of discrimination on the basis of race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. Contributions to Sierra Space come in many shapes and styles, and we believe diversity in our workforce fosters new and greater ways to dream, innovate, and inspire.