Be more than just an employee number! Join Terran Orbital, the leader in innovation, manufacturing, and operations in the small satellite industry. We are a pioneer in the miniaturization of space technologies and the delivery of responsive space solutions. We are a unique, fast growing, and trusted team focused on quickly and economically designing, building, launching, and operating state-of-the-art satellites for advanced mission constellations.
Terran Orbital Corporation is seeking an experienced Senior Electrical Power Systems (EPS) Design Engineer
at our Irvine, CA location. As a Senior EPS Design Engineer,
the candidate will work within a multidisciplinary team to develop innovative spacecraft solutions for internal and external customers.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Designing Power Systems: Developing power distribution architectures, including selection and sizing of power supplies, converters, inverters, transformers, and other components.
- Circuit Design: Creating and optimizing analog and digital power circuits, ensuring proper functionality and performance while meeting design specifications and regulatory standards.
- PCB Layout: Collaborating with PCB layout engineers to ensure proper placement and routing of power-related components for optimal performance, thermal management, and manufacturability.
- Component Selection: Evaluating and selecting appropriate power components, such as voltage regulators, switches, capacitors, and inductors, based on performance requirements, cost considerations, and availability.
- Power Efficiency and Optimization: Analyzing and optimizing power consumption, efficiency, and thermal management to enhance system performance, reliability, and energy efficiency.
- Simulation and Analysis: Utilizing specialized software tools to simulate and analyze power circuits, identifying potential issues, and proposing design improvements.
- Testing and Validation: Developing test plans and procedures, conducting laboratory experiments, and collaborating with test engineers to ensure designs meet performance, reliability, and safety requirements.
- Documentation and Reporting: Creating detailed design documentation, including schematics, bill of materials (BOM), design verification reports, and engineering change orders (ECOs).
- Collaboration and Leadership: Collaborating with cross-functional teams, including mechanical engineers, firmware engineers, and project managers, to ensure successful product development and timely project delivery. Mentoring and guiding junior engineers when needed.
- Industry Trends and Standards: Staying updated with the latest advancements in power electronics, industry standards, and regulatory compliance to ensure designs align with best practices and safety regulations.
QUALIFICATION AND SKILLS:
- BS or MS in Engineering discipline or equivalent degree.
- 5+ or more years’ experience in power system architecture and design.
- Ability to interpret requirements and define the appropriate solution architecture and to implement design.
- Experience working in a team environment to development system level solutions that meet and exceed requirements.
- Experience in Problem-solving and troubleshooting.
- Experience working with multiple disciplines.
- Experience with debugging and evaluation of assembly failures.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Energy and passion to invent and create new solutions, challenge the status quo and drive positive change.
- Ability and willingness to go above and beyond one’s comfort zone when it comes to learning about other technologies and applications.
- Understand vehicle-level systems engineering including functionality trade-offs, grounding, and EMC strategies.
- Familiarity with 3D CAD and PLM software.
- Familiarity with IPC, NASA requirements and acceptance.
- Understands and deals well with rapid development cycles, ambiguity, and unexpected changes in direction.
- Working knowledge of MS Office.
- Employee Equity Incentive Program
- Company-paid comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- 401(K) Match
- Unlimited PTO
- Cross-training and professional development opportunities
Your actual level and base salary will be determined case-by-case and may vary based on the job-related qualification, knowledge, skills, education, and experience. In addition to base salary, we offer equity for each employee, 100% covered medical, dental, and vision coverage, a 401(k) match, unlimited flex time off, covered life insurance, maternity and paternity leave, tuition reimbursement, employee referrals, and lots of swag!
To comply with U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. In addition, please note that this position may also require the possession of an existing United States National Security clearance or eligibility for such a clearance.
ABOUT TERRAN ORBITAL:
Founded in 2013 in Irvine, California, with headquarters in Boca Raton, Florida. Terran Orbital is a leading manufacturer of small satellites primarily serving the United States and Allied aerospace and defense industries. Terran Orbital provides end-to-end satellite solutions by combining satellite design, production, launch planning, mission operations, and in-orbit support to meet the needs of the most demanding military, civil, and commercial customers.
Learn more at www.terranorbital.com
Terran Orbital is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or membership in any other group protected by federal, state, or local law.