The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation’s space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space— delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you’ll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration – to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
Graduate Internship conversion position for the Datacentric Platforms and Architectures Department
within the Engineering Technology Group at Aerospace. This position is for a Full-Time Remote-Hybrid (El Segundo, CA or Chantilly, VA) Computer Science/Data Engineer
Data is at the heart of the space enterprise, and its analysis is crucial to scientific advancement and mission success. In this role you will work closely with subject matter experts across the organization to address real-world mission challenges related to the strategic analysis, processing, and visualization of data. You will design and implement user experiences that effectively communicate data analysis insights through interpretive narratives and interactive visualizations.
This position will be a hybrid work model and offer partially remote with some onsite work required in El Segundo, CA or Chantilly, VA.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Supporting the national, security, and commercial space enterprise through the identification, prototyping, assessment, and implementation of cutting-edge data engineering technologies in a cloud-native environment.
- Collaborating with technical subject matter experts and interdisciplinary teams to conceive, design, and develop web-based applications, command-line utilities, and data pipelines for enterprise data analysis as a frontend, backend, or full-stack data-oriented software engineer.
- Learning by doing, acquiring expertise in emerging technologies to further personal and organizational breadth of knowledge in an academic environment where self-enrichment, training, and mentorship is fundamental.
- Proposing innovative research and development projects, leading research and proof-of-concept development as the principal investigator.
What Skills You’ll Bring
- Strong written and oral communication and interpersonal skills for coordinating efforts and working with members of various internal and external organizations.
- Strong reading comprehension, research, and analytical skills for understanding software documentation and source code, interpreting project requirements, and learning new technologies according to project demand.
- Integrity, self-motivation, initiative, and a collaborative approach to working in a team environment and proactively communicating progress and concerns to teammates and project stakeholders.
- Organizational, time management, and project management skills, including knowledge of software engineering lifecycles and familiarity with project management methodologies.
- Adaptability to working in a dynamic environment where duties, responsibilities, and activities vary in response to fluctuating organizational needs.
- Flexibility in completing projects with concurrent timelines, accurately estimating task duration, and working independently on execution.
- Demonstration of behavior consistent with the company’s values: Dedication to Mission Success, Technical Excellence, Commitment to Our People, Objectivity and Integrity, and Innovation.
What You Need to be Successful
- Pursuing a Master’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline from an accredited college/university program and to be conferred within 12 months.
- Prior internship at The Aerospace Corporation.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0, transcripts required.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of one or more programming languages, including Python and/or Java.
- Backend development project experience or course work, especially in data structures and algorithms.
- Experience developing in Unix-like environments and using source/version control (Git).
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance issued by the US government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
How You Can Stand Out
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these qualifications:
- GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- Frontend library/framework development experience (e.g. React).
- Familiarity with conventional UI/UX design and/or effective data visualization design patterns.
- Experience developing REST APIs or application-database integration programming.
- Knowledge of data architectures and platforms, data mesh, data fabric, data pipelines, data engineering, data management, or data governance.
- Familiarity with data semantics, knowledge engineering, or virtual knowledge graphing (VSG).
- Experience building cloud-native applications, virtual environments, microservice architectures, containerized platforms, infrastructure as code, or automated deployments (e.g. Kubernetes, Docker, Argo).
- Experience implementing unit, integration, or functional software testing.
- Active US Government security clearance.
Transcripts required for this position
We offer a competitive compensation package where you’ll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. The grade-based pay range for this job is listed below. Individual salaries within that range are determined through a wide variety of factors including but not limited to education, experience, knowledge and skills.
(Min - Mid - Max)
$93,000 - $108,000 - $123,000
Pay Basis: Annual
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan — Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other—the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you’re an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at email@example.com. You can also review Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.