Stratolaunch is a technology accelerator that engineers operationally realistic testing at Mach 5+. Our air-launched, Talon testbeds are reusable, cost-effective platforms that enable routine access to the hypersonic environment. We deliver flight data critical to validating system performance and achieving rapid technology deployment. Together with our customers, we drive innovations that are imperative to advancing national security.
To help achieve these efforts, Stratolaunch is seeking a level II, Sr-, or Staff-level GNC Engineer to participate in the development of the hypersonic flight control system. You will contribute to the design, development, meeting requirements, performing verification activities, and test execution for the hypersonic vehicle flight control system. This position will include evaluation of a broad range of technical data.
- Development and evaluation of advanced algorithms to satisfy Guidance, Navigation, and Control requirements
- Development of hypersonic dynamic truth modeling and analysis tools
- Creation of Algorithm Description Documents (ADDs) to document GNC designs
- Perform analysis to verify algorithm designs meet requirements
- Contributions to aspects of the overall flight control system design, development, implementation, integration, and test
- Development of engineering tools, as needed, to complete the tasking
- Regular and comprehensive communication to the Vehicle Management System and GNC Leads
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity, and fulfillment of commitments
- Travel, as needed, to support the department
Qualifications & Skills
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must demonstrate the ability to perform combinations of the Essential Responsibilities
- Fundamental knowledge and understanding of flight dynamics
- Ability to work on you own initiative and prioritize tasking to fit within business goals
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing priorities
- Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance
- Aircraft, missile, and/or launch vehicle development experience
- Guidance algorithm synthesis, implementation, and analysis
- Control, autopilot design and analysis
- Dynamic system modeling of fixed wing, missile, and/or hypersonic vehicles
- Flight control algorithm requirements development, design, implementation, integration, test, and post-flight analysis
- Ability to communicate technical challenges and provide guidance to varied audiences to explain rationale and/or resolve concerns
- Experience with software development processes and methodologies
- Advanced degree with technical focus in GNC relevant areas
- TS/SCI security clearance
Required Computer Skills:
- Proficient with Matlab
- Proficient with Simulink
- MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
Education & Experience
- Level II ($85,000-$123,000): Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from accredited institution and 2-5 years of engineering experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
- Sr Level ($104,000-$155,000): Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from accredited institution and 5-10 years of engineering experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
- Staff Level ($126,500-$195,400): Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from accredited institution and 10-20 years of engineering experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
Special remarks regarding work environment, if applicable
Benefits and our location:
- Position based in Mojave, CA
- Travel, as needed, to support the department. Travel estimated to be <5%
Mojave Air & Spaceport is located 95 miles north of Los Angeles. To outsiders it may seem like it is the middle-of-nowhere, but it offers both affordability and central access to a variety of California’s best attractions and landmarks. Hikers will find themselves within a 2-3 hours distance of some of the best state and national parks, including Yosemite and Sequoia in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Skiers will delight in being closely distanced to world-class resorts at Mammoth Mountain, Mountain High, and Big Bear. Beachgoers can find plenty of sand, sun, and sunsets at both Southern and Central California beaches like Ventura, Huntington, Santa Monica, and Pismo. The area also offers plenty of rural area for off-roading and horseback riding enthusiasts.
- Relocation eligible to local area – Mojave, CA
- 9/80 schedule
- Healthcare (medical, dental, vision, prescription drugs)
- Paid Maternity and Parental Leave
- 50% company match per contributed dollar into 401(k) savings plan, up to the IRS annual limit
- Tuition reimbursement
Not much for the outdoors and prefer the city life? You’re within a half day’s drive or less of Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas, and San Francisco where you can find a variety of live entertainment, museums, tours, and historical sight-seeing. Theme parks are in abundance, with Six Flags Magic Mountain, Disneyland, and Knotts Berry Farm ready to meet the needs of rollercoaster thrill seekers.
Food and drink fanatics are in a haven of delectable choices. Wine aficionados will also find easy access to some of the state’s best vino in Paso Robles, Santa Ynez, and even more locally in Tehachapi and Agua Dulce. Beer fanatics will find some of the best West Coast IPAs at Bravery and Lucky Luke’s in Lancaster. Any food option you crave is covered, and we always recommend the authentic and fresh Mexican food that you won’t find anywhere else in the United States.
Applicants must be a US citizen or Green Card holder to be considered for this role.
Stratolaunch is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at our company. We encourage people from all walks of life to apply, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Our management team does not tolerate discrimination or harassment at any point during our employees’ and applicants’ time with us, especially with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities, and general treatment during employment.Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law:
Job Category: Engineering