Astrobotic Technology, Inc. is a space robotics company that seeks to make space accessible to the world. The company’s suite of lunar landers delivers payloads to the Moon for companies, governments, universities, non-profits, and individuals. The company is also developing advanced space robotics capabilities such as terrain relative navigation, mobile robotics for lunar surface operations, and reliable computing systems for mission-critical applications. Originally spun out of Carnegie Mellon University in 2007, Astrobotic is pioneering affordable planetary access that promises to spark a new era of exploration, science, tourism, resource utilization, and mining. Astrobotic’s headquarters is in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, with a second location in Mojave, California.
This position will be involved in development and evolution of Astrobotic’s portfolio of propulsion technologies and testing capabilities. Applicants should have a background in systems engineering, vehicle development, and ground and flight testing.
- Design high-level vehicle assembly architecture, manage vehicle integration build flow and test operations.
- Evaluate proposed designs for manufacturability and integration.
- Interface with engineers, management, and technicians to optimize manufacturing/integration/test.
- Support the development and maintenance of the requirements V&V matrix.
- Support the development and maintenance of systems documentation.
- Develop and refine manufacturing assembly procedures based on lessons learned.
- Enable day-to-day execution of the vehicle integration and test flow.
- Ensure system solutions are flight worthy prior to test and flight operations.
- Evaluate non-conformances to determine root cause and create actionable items and system improvements. (DFMEA/FMECA)
- Support the configuration management process.
Required Skills & Qualifications
- Engineers on this team must have working knowledge of overall vehicle design, schematics, operations, manufacturing, testing, and flight.
- 5+ years of engineering/product development experience, including 2+ years of demonstrated proficiency and leadership in systems engineering.
- 2+ years of demonstrated hands-on experience manufacturing, building, testing, or troubleshooting hardware via industry, hobby, or through participation in collegiate engineering projects.
- Relevant engineering degree or equivalent hands-on professional experience and training
- 5+ years in manufacturing, assembly, and test of complex systems
- Good working knowledge of multiple engineering disciplines, including (but not limited to) mechanical, electrical, and software engineering.
- Familiarity with SolidWorks or similar CAD package.
- Familiarity with GD&T, configuration management, and inspection.
- Exceptional problem solving and decision-making capabilities.
Desired Skills & Qualifications
- An understanding of VTVL vehicle design and operations.
- Understands what is — and what is not — needed for high reliability VTVL systems.
- Experience with the complete lifecycle of an aerospace program: design, build, test, and fly.
- Experience developing manufacturing assembly and integration procedures and implementing relevant software solutions.
- Experience with Aerospace Systems Safety
- Experience directing both engineers and technicians in hands-on environments.
- Experience using AS9145 and AS1300x standards.
- Experience with DO-278 or DO-178 certifications.
Salary Range: $100,000 - $160,000
The base salary range represents the low and high end of the anticipated salary range for this position. The actual base salary offered for this position will depend on numerous factors including individual performance, business objectives, and the candidates professional experience. Base salary is just one component of Astrobotic’s competitive total rewards strategy.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.