APPLICATION DEADLINE IS 8/25
Stratolaunch is a technology accelerator that engineers operationally realistic testing at Mach 5+. Our air-launched, Talon testbeds are reusable, cost-effective platforms that enable routine access to the hypersonic environment. We deliver flight data critical to validating system performance and achieving rapid technology deployment. Together with our customers, we drive innovations that are imperative to advancing national security.
Stratolaunch is seeking a hands-on 747 Crew Chief (CC) to lead the aircraft maintenance team in the efficient execution of the work scope performed to the aircraft; maintenance, preventive maintenance, inspections, and alterations. You will be responsible for ensuring all work performed on the aircraft meets established quality and airworthiness standards. You will work together with engineering and program management to understand the program constraints, including cost and scheduling. This position will work directly with the 747 Director of Operations, Engineering, Management, Manufacturing, and Test Operations.
- Ensure the 747 carrier aircraft is maintained in an airworthiness condition IWA Boeing MM, SRM, LUMP inspection plan and other technical data.
- Take ownership of the 747 carrier aircraft and all quality of work performed
- Hands-on working CC leads aircraft ground crew operations
- Support manufacturing and flight test activities based upon schedule needs
- Monitor and help determine program shop resource needs
- Support any FAA activities as required
- Communicate vehicle status on all aspects to Director of Operations, Flight OPS, Engineering, and flight test team members
- Responsible for overall safety of your team and aircraft during all ground operations
- Responsible for the completion of the vehicle maintenance, modification, inspections, and overall vehicle readiness
- Ensure that aircraft maintenance paperwork and forms are completed
- Sign-off required aircraft forms to clear aircraft for flight
- Train your team in proper maintenance and servicing techniques, standardized procedures, drawings, maintenance forms and aircraft standards
- Identify quality issues and communicate those with the Director of Operations, with manufacturing and assembly, involve program and manufacturing leadership to help resolve issues as required
- Monitor all work performed by the crew to ensure that all work accomplished meets quality standards and is airworthy
- Ensure that personnel assigned to perform tasks are qualified to perform the task and identify training requirements
- Conduct on-the-job training (OJT) on B747 systems and maintenance procedures such as, pre-flight, post flight inspections, flight controls, landing gear, electrical, avionics, and propulsion systems
- 7+ years of transport category aircraft maintenance experience (Boeing series aircraft – preferred) 747-400, Gen Fam with RII authorization (preferred)
- Unrestricted engine run qualifications on 747 aircraft (preferred)
- Formal training on advanced systems/avionics on 747 aircraft (preferred)
- Have demonstrated work experience on 747-400 systems such as fuel, pneumatics, hydraulics, flight controls, engines, landing gears, etc.
- Bore scope qualified on Pratt Whitney engines (preferred)
- Have experience in large aircraft movements, safety, and procedures
- Have completed 747 General Familiarization or training acquired through OJT
- Have large turbofan engine experience
- Possess a working knowledge of the Federal Aviation Regulations and airworthiness requirements
- Proven leadership, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- A strong understanding of the importance of FOD control and tool control
- Have a working knowledge of Jira
- Must possess valid passport
Education & Experience
- Current A&P license
- 3-5 years of experience on large transport category aircraft (required)
- 7+ years of experience in aircraft systems fabrication installation and maintenance (preferred)
Special remarks regarding work environment, if applicable
- This position is located in Mojave, CA
- Frequent travel required to Washington D.C., Mojave Spaceport, and other domestic locations
Benefits and our location:
- Eligible for up to 10% annual bonus
- Relocation eligible to local area – Mojave, CA
- 9/80 schedule
- Healthcare (medical, dental, vision, prescription drugs)
- Paid Maternity and Parental Leave
- 50% company match per contributed dollar into 401(k) savings plan up to the IRS annual limit
- Tuition reimbursement
Mojave Air & Spaceport is located 95 miles north of Los Angeles. To outsiders it may seem like it is the middle-of-nowhere, but it offers both affordability and central access to a variety of California’s best attractions and landmarks. Hikers will find themselves within a 2-3 hours distance of some of the best state and national parks, including Yosemite and Sequoia in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Skiers will delight in being closely distanced to world-class resorts at Mammoth Mountain, Mountain High, and Big Bear. Beachgoers can find plenty of sand, sun, and sunsets at both Southern and Central California beaches like Ventura, Huntington, Santa Monica, and Pismo. The area also offers plenty of rural area for off-roading and horseback riding enthusiasts.
Not much for the outdoors and prefer the city life? You’re within a half day’s drive or less of Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas, and San Francisco where you can find a variety of live entertainment, museums, tours, and historical sight-seeing. Theme parks are in abundance, with Six Flags Magic Mountain, Disneyland, and Knotts Berry Farm ready to meet the needs of rollercoaster thrill seekers.
Food and drink fanatics are in a haven of delectable choices. Wine aficionados will also find easy access to some of the state’s best vino in Paso Robles, Santa Ynez, and even more locally in Tehachapi and Agua Dulce. Beer fanatics will find some of the best West Coast IPAs at Bravery and Lucky Luke’s in Lancaster. Any food option you crave is covered, and we always recommend the authentic and fresh Mexican food that you won’t find anywhere else in the United States.
Applicants must be a US citizen or Green Card holder to be considered for this role.
Stratolaunch is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at our company. We encourage people from all walks of life to apply, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Our management team does not tolerate discrimination or harassment at any point during our employees’ and applicants’ time with us, especially with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities, and general treatment during employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law:
Job Category: Manufacturing