The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation’s space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space— delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you’ll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration – to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
The National Systems Group serves as the technical advisor to the Intelligence Community and its mission partners involved in the collection and distribution of national and tactical intelligence, including electronics programs, advanced technologies, ground and communications, imagery programs, and systems engineering and launch.
The mission of the Technology Development Department (TDD) is to discover, study, develop, and demonstrate the next generation of space technologies critical to national security. TDD employs the full suite of Aerospace's strategic, technical, and laboratory capabilities to directly support the NRO’s Advanced Systems and Technologies Directorate. TDD is seeking a motivated engineer or scientist (Level 2 Project Engineer or Level 3 Sr. Project Engineer) to support a broad portfolio of research and development programs and lead studies on space architectures and technologies.
This position requires 100% on-site work in Chantilly, VA.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Finding innovative solutions to our toughest and most interesting challenges.
- Providing direct technical, strategic, and programmatic support in the development of advanced technologies for future space systems.
- Engaging Aerospace’s premiere analysis, simulation, and laboratory resources in the Engineering and Technology Group (ETG) matrix.
- Coordinating diverse studies ranging across phenomenologies and technologies, breaking down complex intelligence questions into manageable components to bring data-driven results to the nation’s hardest problems.
- Interacting frequently with government, SETA, and contractor personnel as part of a small team in a fast-paced environment.
What You Need To Be Successful
Minimum Requirements for a Project Engineer
- Bachelor’s degree in science, engineering, mathematics, or a related technical field.
- Eight years of relevant experience after bachelor’s degree in a technical field.
- Strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently or collaboratively.
- Willing to travel domestically approximately 10% of time.
- This position requires a current and active TS/SCI security clearance and polygraph, which is issued by the US government. U.S citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
In addition to the above, Senior Project Engineer requires the following
- Twelve years of relevant experience after bachelor’s degree in a technical field.
- Demonstrated success in scoping projects and leading teams with a mix of technical and programmatic expertise.
How You Can Stand Out
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
- Advanced degree in science, engineering, mathematics, or a related technical field.
- Direct experience with national security space systems.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas:
- High-performance computing
- Remote sensing
- Position, navigation, and timing (PNT) technologies
- Radio frequency (RF) components, architectures, and signal processing
- Geospatial intelligence (GEOINT) or signals intelligence (SIGINT) technologies
- Prototyping, CubeSats, and space experiments
- Materials science
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan — Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other—the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you’re an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also review Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.