SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.SR. CIVIL/STRUCTURAL ENGINEER (STARSHIP)
This position will be responsible for the design and construction of critical civil and structural projects supporting SpaceX launch pad and critical facilities. You will lead initial project definition (scope/schedule/cost), and lead all subsequent construction operations. Additionally, this position will provide onsite engineering support to mitigate any issues that may affect SpaceX launch readiness.RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform structural analysis and design for large steel and reinforced concrete buildings, launch platforms, offshore platforms, and GSE equipment foundations
- Create structural design drawings, calculations, and design summary presentations
- Estimate material quantities, schedules, and costs for construction projects
- Write and manage construction contracts with subcontractors across multiple disciplines
- Perform project control tasks, including project scheduling, budgeting, and cost control
- Manage multi-discipline design and construction projects
- Interact with other engineers, contractors, fabricators, and various stakeholders
- Provide direct onsite field observations and resolve field conflicts in real time
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree in civil engineering or structural engineering
- 5+ years of professional experience an engineer with a focus in design or build of structural or civil infrastructure
- Fundamentals of Engineering (FE)
- Professional Engineering (PE) or Structural Engineering (SE) license
- Knowledge of American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC) steel manual, American Concrete Institute (ACI) code 318, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) 7, and International Building Codes (IBC)
- Experience creating structural detail drawings in AutoCAD, Revit, NX, Solidworks or similar drafting programs
- Knowledge of ETABS, SAP2000, S-Concrete, ANSYS, FEMAP or similar analysis design programs
- Understanding of other disciplines, such as, mechanical, electrical, geotechnical, and surveying
- Heavy rigging experience, in analysis and/or application
- Experience reading, reviewing, and approving shop and fabrication drawings
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
- Must be willing to travel to our launch sites in support of build out activities and launches; travel requirement is up to 15%
- Ability to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- Ability to remain focused while working in hazardous environments, while wearing appropriate PPE
Civil/Structural Engineer/Senior: $125,000.00 - $175,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.ITAR REQUIREMENTS:
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C.
- 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C.
- 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX's Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.