Our long-term client relationship with NASA has led to a need for a Science Communications Specialist
on the Human Space Flight Technical Integration (HSFTIC) contract at Johnson Space Center (Houston, TX) serving the Communication and Outreach group.
Join the dynamic team at Barrios Technology as a Science Communications Specialist of our Mission Planning and Integration (MP&I) Communications and Outreach Team.
Building on more than four decades of experience in providing innovative integration solutions for government and commercial space programs, Barrios offers an extensive range of engineering, software, and related technology integration services in support of the aerospace community. As a woman-owned and operated small business, we are a people-focused company that supports professional development, while working to ensure that you maintain a healthy work-life balance.
Barrios employees actively participate in the growth of the commercial spaceflight industry through our partnerships with companies leading commercial space development, as well as successfully supporting NASA as our primary government customer. Our long history supporting Low Earth Orbit (LEO) on the International Space Station, and now Commercial LEO, lays the groundwork for future missions to the Moon through our work on Orion, Gateway, and the Space Launch System.
The Science Communications Specialist Will
- Be part of a science/research communications team charged with communicating about the science performed on the International Space Station to a variety of audiences, including the general public, the research community, and the legislative community.
- Work within a team to produce a variety of written products, including feature story content for NASA websites, social media posts, outreach exhibits, talking points and PowerPoint presentations for speakers, and other products.
- Integrate material from multiple sources to write web features that concisely summarize complex science information into layman’s terms.
- Consult with investigators, project managers, and NASA personnel to develop written products that convey research benefits and scientific results.
- Generate and track product requirements and negotiate requirements with internal contract personnel, NASA leads, and other external stakeholders.
- Manage editorial calendar based on science communication themes and produce, edit, and manage written products to coincide with theme strategies and deadlines.
- Keep informed of on-going research efforts aboard the space station, including international partner research and commercial entities.
- Collaborate with the International Space Station (ISS) Research social media and Research & Technology web teams to post written content that highlights research topics on the space station.
- Perform other duties as required.
- BS/BA degree in Communications or similar degree from an accredited college or university, plus two (2) years of relevant experience.
- Experience with scientific writing for technical publications, digital media, feature stories, or other science related content targeted to the general public.
- Knowledge of social media platforms, and the ability to write and edit in AP Style, and an ability to learn about and adapt to emerging communication platforms.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills required, as well as integration, coordination, and presentation skills, and an ability to thrive in a deadline-driven environment.
- Capable of creative and collaborative work with high visibility.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment to perform assigned tasks.
- Scientific background experience in subjects such as biology & biotechnology, physical science, human physiology, Earth science, space science, or technology development is a plus.
- Experience with the Adobe Create Suite – (InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop) is a plus.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen and successfully complete a U.S. government background investigation.
- Post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol as outlined in our Drug Free Workplace policy.
- Applicant selected may be subject to government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
- Work may involve sitting for extended periods.
- May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lb.
- Must have sufficient mobility to enter areas of test facilities where necessary.
- Generally an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on task.
- Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, fax, etc.)
- Regular attendance in accordance with established work schedule is critical.
- Ability to work outside normal schedule and adjust schedule to meet peak periods and surge requirements when required.
- Must be able to work in a team atmosphere.
- Must put forward a professional behavior that enhances productivity and promotes teamwork and cooperation.
- Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others.
- This position may require some commuting and traveling to other installations as needed.
Don’t miss out on this great opportunity; for immediate consideration, apply now!
Barrios Technology is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in several states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
Barrios Technology is an Equal Employment Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, veteran status, genetic information, union status and/or beliefs, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.