The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation’s space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space— delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you’ll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration – to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
The Data Science and Artificial Intelligence Department (DSAID) seeks a creative and enthusiastic Engineering Manager to lead a diverse team of engineers, data scientists, and programmers with a passion for researching, prototyping, understanding, and building AI and data enabled tools across the space enterprise. We are a growing, innovative, and collaborative department that makes meaningful contributions across National Security Space (AF, NRO, etc.), and Civil and Commercial customers (NASA, MDA, DHS, commercial space, autonomous vehicles, etc.).
The Engineering Manager will manage a team specializing in Data Science Applications, with connections to: Data Science, Applied Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Deep Reinforcement Learning, Physics Inspired ML, Classification Systems, Natural Language Processing, Generative Artificial Intelligence, and Computer Vision. An ideal candidate is a community-focused leader, takes initiative, is focused on enabling teams to develop advanced technologies and frameworks, and can lead and provide technical guidance on a variety of efforts spanning internally funded R&D to direct customer support for mission-critical space systems. A focus of their role is to provide technical and career development for early career staff members, while keeping department leadership informed regarding needs and trends.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Primary technical functions include:
- Lead technical teams, contribute to technical tasks
- Coordinate with program offices to determine tasking, report progress, resolve technical issues, and ensure project success.
- Assign responsibilities to engineering and support personnel to achieve requirements
- Propose technical efforts, including task planning, scheduling, and labor estimates
- Provide recommendations to customers for budget planning
- Primary managerial functions include:
- Develop and manage early career technical staff
- Recommend staffing needs, reassignments, transfers, terminations, performance improvements, career development, and promotional actions
- Hire and onboard technical staff, determined by department/corporate hiring plans
- Monitor and evaluate processes, techniques, and performance of teammates
- Review documentation and delivery of services to customers, suggest improvements
- Ensure team compliance with security monitoring, processes, and corporate policies
- Report activities, accomplishments, and recommendations to management and staff
- Additional functions may include (guided by Engineering Manager’s career development goals):
- Participation in inter-organizational technical exchanges, team building, and education
- Find opportunities for additional, expanded, or new business. Aid in the evaluation and pursuit of new business opportunities
- Connect with customers to improve tasking coordination and understand mission needs
- Manage and contribute to internal research and development activities, coordinate corporately across organizations and with strategic focus areas
- Implement more effective and efficient processes
- Duties, responsibilities and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned as needed
What You Need to be Successful
- Bachelors degree from an accredited program in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Electrical or Computer Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, or related field(s)
- 8 or more years of experience with increasing responsibility in professional engineering or scientific subject areas.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively organize and lead technical teams
- Demonstrated ability to rapidly learn and apply new technical skills
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills, with ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with customers and management/staff across organizations
- Experience with at least two different programming languages (e.g. Java, Python, C/C++), including familiarity with machine learning and deep learning libraries in Python
- This position requires ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, which is issued by the US government. U.S citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance
- Some travel may be required
We offer a competitive compensation package where you’ll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. The grade-based pay range for this job is listed below. Individual salaries within that range are determined through a wide variety of factors including but not limited to education, experience, knowledge and skills.
(Min - Mid - Max)
$121,000 - $138,000 - $155,000
Pay Basis: Annual
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan — Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other—the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you’re an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at email@example.com. You can also review Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.