Our long-term client relationship with Jacobs has led to a need for a Spacecraft Navigation Engineer
on the JSC Engineering, Technology, and Science (JETS) contract at Johnson Space Center (Houston, TX).
Building on more than four decades of experience in providing innovative integration solutions for government and commercial space programs, Barrios offers an extensive range of engineering, software, and related technology integration services in support of the aerospace community. As a woman-owned and operated small business, we are a people-focused company that supports professional development, while working to ensure that you maintain a healthy work-life balance.
Barrios employees actively participate in the growth of the commercial spaceflight industry through our partnerships with companies leading commercial space development, as well as successfully supporting NASA as our primary government customer. Our long history supporting Low Earth Orbit (LEO) on the International Space Station, and now Commercial LEO, lays the groundwork for future missions to the Moon through our work on Orion, Gateway, and the Space Launch System.
The Spacecraft Navigation Engineer
- Design, develop and integrate navigation algorithms into the integrated Guidance, Navigation & Control (GN&C) system for NASA spacecraft including
- Lunar surface-navigation without (Global Positioning System) GPS.
- Navigation during the descent phase of flight with precision landing and hazard avoidance.
- Perform analysis and testing in an integrated GN&C environment.
- Formally document the results of all design and analysis activities.
- Perform other duties as required.
This position is posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate’s experience, position requirements and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.
- BS Degree in Engineering from an accredited Engineering school, plus two (2) years of related experience.
- OR -
- BS Degree in Engineering from an accredited engineering school, plus five (5) years of related experience.
- OR -
- BS Degree in Engineering from an accredited engineering school, may be expected to have a related Master's Degree, plus ten (10) years of related experience.
- OR -
- BS Degree in Engineering from an accredited engineering school, may be expected to have a related Master's or higher degree, plus fifteen (15) years of related experience.
- Graduate-level coursework and in-depth knowledge of
- Linear and non-linear state estimation theory
- Linear covariance analysis
- Numerical methods
- Familiarity with relative navigation concepts.
- Knowledge of lunar surface-navigation techniques.
- Knowledge in the design, analysis, and implementation of navigation algorithms.
- Experience with spacecraft simulation modeling and analysis of integrated GN&C systems.
- Experience programming in C/C++ and knowledge of Matlab/Simulink.
- The proven ability to solve complex total GN&C system and simulation problems.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a team environment consisting of NASA civil servants and various contractor employees.
- MS in Aerospace, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering.
- Knowledge of image processing.
- Knowledge of inertial sensors.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen and successfully complete a U.S. government background investigation.
- Post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol as outlined in our Drug Free Workplace policy.
- Applicant selected may be subject to government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
- Work may involve sitting for extended periods.
- May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lb.
- Must have sufficient mobility to enter areas of test facilities where necessary.
- Generally an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on task.
- Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, fax, etc.)
- Regular attendance in accordance with established work schedule is critical.
- Ability to work outside normal schedule and adjust schedule to meet peak periods and surge requirements when required.
- Must be able to work in a team atmosphere.
- Must put forward a professional behavior that enhances productivity and promotes teamwork and cooperation.
- Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others.
- This position may require some commuting and traveling to other installations as needed.
Don’t miss out on this great opportunity; for immediate consideration, apply now!
Barrios Technology is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in several states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
Barrios Technology is an Equal Employment Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, veteran status, genetic information, union status and/or beliefs, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.