The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation’s space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space— delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you’ll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration – to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
The National Systems Group serves as the technical advisor to the Intelligence Community and its mission partners involved in the collection and distribution of national and tactical intelligence, including electronics programs, advanced technologies, ground and communications, imagery programs, and systems engineering and launch.
The Advanced Technology Directorate is seeking a motivated Ground Systems Engineer (Sr. Project Engineer) to help provide architecture development, acquisition, and mission assurance in a research and development environment. This ground systems engineering opportunity will help lead and influence an Aerospace team assisting in the development of high priority demonstration systems.
This position requires 100% on site work in Chantilly, VA
What You’ll Be Doing
- Architecting and designing architecture level quality factors and guidance for development and acquisition of a small satellite common ground enterprise in support of customer vision.
- Work directly with our government customers and their contractors to accomplish transformational development increment roadmap and manage risk.
- Leveraging Aerospace expertise across other ground development activities to facilitate successful development and implementation of an R&D enterprise solution.
- Developing recommendations to ensure future R&D small satellites successfully operate end-to-end from mission requests to delivered product.
- Developing recommendations that are actionable strategies
What You Need to be Successful
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant engineering, mathematics, or science field
- A minimum of 12 years engineering experience.
- Experience in supporting the planning and development of ground architectures and/or programs.
- Understanding of modern software development methodologies (i.e. – agile, SAFe).
- Capability to plan beyond the current project, phase, iteration that lends itself to a sustainable solution architecture that keeps pace with technology advancements and research results
- Superior interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
- Ability to work closely with senior government management
- This position requires a current and active TS/SCI security clearance and polygraph, which is issued by the US government. U.S citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
How You Can Stand Out
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
- An advanced degree in engineering, computer science or related applicable technical discipline.
- Experience with Enterprise solutions that enable modular additions of ground applications such as command and control, mission management and data processing.
- Knowledge of solution architecting, systems engineering processes, project management.
- Involvement in leading evaluation of software systems.
- Experience with mission operations.
- Demonstrated expertise in scoping, leading, and completing projects with a matrixed organization.
- Strong, demonstrated personal initiative.
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan — Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other—the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you’re an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at email@example.com. You can also review Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.