Be more than just an employee number! Join Terran Orbital, a leader in innovation, manufacturing, and operations in the satellite industry. We are a pioneer in the miniaturization of space technologies and the delivery of responsive space solutions. We are a unique, fast-growing, and trusted team focused on quickly and economically designing, building, launching, and operating state-of-the-art satellites for advanced mission constellations.
Terran Orbital is seeking an experienced Sr. Systems Engineer – GNC Sensors, to join our growing team. Reporting to the Product Director – GNC Sensors, the Sr. Systems Engineer - GNC Sensors will utilize engineering best practices to lead a Guidance, Navigation, and Control (GNC) Sensors, to create new products and evolve existing Coarse Sensor Modules (CSM), Star Tracker Modules (STM), Inertial Measurement Units (IMU's), and Gyros into production ready products. The Sr. Systems Engineer - GNC Sensors is responsible for the product line, including technical integration, design, development and working closely with peers and other engineering disciplines, program managers, and IPT leads across the entire organization.
This is an onsite position located in Irvine CA.
Key Duties And Responsibilities
Qualification and Skills
- Development of system or subsystem performance or effectiveness modeling, simulation, analysis, and trade study activities to include requirements analysis, system, and Sub System trade studies, system capability analysis, system survivability analysis, and mission performance/effectiveness analysis
- Drive the development of clean-sheet requirements for new products, refine existing product requirements, and influence the pursuit of future technologies and capabilities
- Development of Verification and Acceptance criteria
- Identify Key Performance Parameters (KPP) of products and implement metrics to assure the products meet KPP’s throughout the manufacturing and test process
- Identify opportunities to improve performance and reduce the cost of products, with a focus on implementing minor incremental design evolutions that reduce material and manufacturing labor costs
- Improve documentation of products to include digital twin technologies and create a historical database of lessons learned during product evolution
- Improve the engineering training documentation on products to include virtual training exercises that enhance the knowledge base of the GNC engineering team
- Responsible for identifying, categorizing and communicating technical risks of new and existing products
- BS in STEM from an accredited university
- 5+ years of experience with GNC or related DOD/Aerospace/Space sensors or systems
- Proven experience working with GNC systems and demonstrated experience working with CSM and STM products, Kalman filters, optical systems, celestial navigation techniques, and PID control loops
- Experience in modeling, simulation, and/or analysis of systems
- Experience with MATLAB, C/C++, Java and/or Python
- A few of the additional differentiators below
- Master’s Degree
- Experience calibrating optical systems and navigating with a sextant and celestial bodies
- Experience with systems engineering and integration of spacecraft systems
- Experience with gyroscopes and inertial measurement systems
- A basic working knowledge of cross discipline engineering fields in; systems, software, mechanical, electrical, manufacturing, and quality, with a deeper than basic understanding of circuit card designs
- Experience in development, qualification, and acceptance testing with high level skills in failure analysis and root cause investigation
- Experience with configuration control, and with ongoing product documentation, capturing lessons learned, and documenting improvements back into the product baseline to foster an environment that enables continuous improvement, novel thinking, and fresh ideas
- Per the requirement of certain Terran Orbital facilities, the applicant must be eligible to obtain and maintain a U.S. TS/SCI Security Clearance and all special accesses required to work at such facilities
- 100% Company-paid comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage for you and your dependents
- Employee Equity Incentive Program
- 401(k) Match
- Unlimited PTO
Salary Range $130,000 - $170,000
Your actual level and base salary will be determined case-by-case and may vary based on the job-related qualification, knowledge, skills, education, and experience. In addition to base salary, we offer equity for each employee, 100% covered medical, dental, and vision coverage, a 401(k) match, unlimited flex time off, covered life insurance, maternity and paternity leave, tuition reimbursement, employee referrals, and lots of swag!
About Terran Orbital
Terran Orbital is a leading manufacturer of satellite products primarily serving the aerospace and defense industries. Terran Orbital provides end-to-end satellite solutions by combining satellite design, production, launch planning, mission operations, and on-orbit support to meet the needs of the most demanding military, civil, and commercial customers. Learn more at www.terranorbital.com
An employee must meet the physical demands described to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. In performing the duties of this job, the employee is routinely required to sit or stand for long durations of time, in addition to bending, reaching, and walking. This would require the ability to lift or move objects up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift or move objects up to 25 pounds. This position is generally sedentary, with substantial computer usage.
The job operates in a professional office environment but in a manufacturing company. This job routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and scanners.
To comply with U.S. Government space technology export regulations, the applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. In addition, please note that this position may require a current United States National Security clearance or eligibility for such a clearance.
Terran Orbital is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or membership in any other group protected by federal, state, or local law.