Be more than just an employee number! Join Terran Orbital, a leader in innovation, manufacturing, and operations in the satellite industry. We are a pioneer in the miniaturization of space technologies and the delivery of responsive space solutions. We are a unique, fast-growing, and trusted team focused on quickly and economically designing, building, launching, and operating state-of-the-art satellites for advanced mission constellations.
Terran Orbital is seeking an experienced and motivated Mechanical Engineer
to join our growing team. Reporting to the Components and Modules Integrated Product Team Lead, the Mechanical Engineer III, will be responsible for the design, analysis, prototype and qualification of components and sub-system modules capable of withstanding launch vehicle and space environments. Associated design efforts will include mass optimization, vibration attenuation, tuned thermal properties, and passive or active thermal control accommodations, manufacturability, and assembly. The Mechanical Engineer III works closely with structural, thermal, electrical, system and manufacturing disciplines to meet design and operational requirements.
Key Duties And Responsibilities
- Plan and lead the design, development, optimization and implementation of various components and sub-system modules ranging in complexity for various programs
- Utilize the full spectrum of design, analysis, test, and manufacturing best practices to create efficient component and subsystem modules
- Use established analytical analysis mythologies and Computer Aided Design to ensure designs will meet or exceed internal and external customer requirements
- Generate detailed component and assembly drawings associated documentation including specifications, work instructions, operating procedures
- Develop test plans through development, qualification, characterization, and acceptance testing.
- Provide design timelines and cost estimates for new programs and initiatives
- Manage simultaneous project tasks ensuring that design deliverables, estimated spend and delivery milestones are met.
- Provide technical guidance and direction to the project team
- Provide mentorship and guidance to Jr. Engineers on Industry Best Practices and Methods
- Review design analyses, models, drawings, and associated component and module design documentation for workmanship and accuracy
- in hardware requirement generation in collaboration with multiple team members
- Contribute to Process Development and Continuous Improvement
- Generate technical content in support of internal and external design reviews
- Perform other duties as assigned
Qualification And Skills
- S. or M.S. in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent technical discipline
- +5 years of related experience designing complex mechanical systems
- Proficient in the interpretation and application of Geometric Dimensioning &Tolerancing
- Proficiency working with Computer Aided Design tools
- Proficient knowledge of engineering principles
- Experience conducting technical peer reviews and providing constructive feedback.
- Detail oriented, ability to identify design/manufacturing/procurement issues
- Ability to work in a fast-paced multidisciplinary team environment
- Able to effectively work on multiple projects running in parallel
- Self-motivated with strong organizational, written, and oral communication skills
- Experience working with related space applications
- Proficient working with SolidWorks and EPDM
- Advanced knowledge within a defined area of mechanical design and/or study
- Proficient in the use of shop tools, inspection methods and equipment
- Hands-on experience with fabrication, assembly, and testing from an Aerospace focused industry
- Employee Equity Incentive Program
- 100% Company-paid comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage for you and your dependents
- 401(K) Match
- Unlimited PTO
Salary Range $140,000-$170,000
Your actual level and base salary will be determined case-by-case and may vary based on the job-related qualification, knowledge, skills, education, and experience. In addition to base salary, we offer equity for each employee, 100% covered medical, dental, and vision coverage, a 401(k) match, unlimited flex time off, covered life insurance, maternity and paternity leave, tuition reimbursement, employee referrals, and lots of swag!
About Terran Orbital
Terran Orbital is a leading manufacturer of satellite products primarily serving the aerospace and defense industries. Terran Orbital provides end-to-end satellite solutions by combining satellite design, production, launch planning, mission operations, and on-orbit support to meet the needs of the most demanding military, civil, and commercial customers. Learn more at www.terranorbital.com
An employee must meet the physical demands described to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. In performing the duties of this job, the employee is routinely required to sit or stand for long durations of time, in addition to bending, reaching, and walking. This would require the ability to lift or move objects up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift or move objects up to 25 pounds. This position is generally sedentary, with substantial computer usage.
The job operates in a professional office environment but in a manufacturing company. This job routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and scanners.
To comply with US Government space technology export regulations, the applicant must be a US citizen, lawful permanent resident of the US, protected individual as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the US Department of State. In addition, please note that this position may require a current United States National Security clearance or eligibility for such a clearance.
Terran Orbital is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or membership in any other group protected by federal, state, or local law.
If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at [email protected].