The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation’s space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space— delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you’ll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration – to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
The Systems Engineering Division (SED) provides unmatched experience in systems engineering to the U.S. government and to numerous public and private agencies, universities, nonprofit organizations, consortia, and commercial companies involved in the advanced application of space technology. From systems architecture development to system analysis and optimization, astrodynamics, orbital debris, navigation, failure analysis, mission assurance, cost and schedule assessment, and economic market analysis, SED exploits an incredibly broad array of engineering and business disciplines against a diverse and dynamic portfolio of programs and national challenges.
The Space Architecture Department (SAD) provides unmatched experience in enterprise and system architecture to the U.S. government and numerous public and private agencies, universities, nonprofit organizations, consortia, and commercial companies involved in the advanced application of space technology.
What You’ll Be Doing
- You will facilitate multi-stakeholder summits, workshops, and technical exchanges between senior government leadership, management teams, and technical teams for national space programs to achieve alignment in program strategic vision and direction, capability management, mission organization design, and solution architecture concept development.
- You will enable effective program decision-making through ecosystem disruption by leading strategic capability evolution planning efforts that capitalize on organizational and mission strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats.
- You will lead development of strategic roadmaps and enterprise, process, and technology architecture change management plans that assess program resource impacts and transition impacts
- You will lead development of recommendations and identify associated risks for iterative adaptive changes to enterprise vision and culture, strategies and goals, organization design and process evolution in mission operations and business functions, and investments in supporting mission systems and IT infrastructures.
- You will lead project teams comprising Aerospace, customer, and contractor personnel on multiple concurrent projects to elicit and identify needs, requirements, and constraints for studies and marshal technical expertise in multiple technical disciplines and domains to enable concurrent engineering approaches, developing and mentoring junior staff as part of the role.
- You will develop and integrate analytical methods and tools to evaluate program and mission strategic concepts to influence solution conceptual designs for cost, schedule, performance, risk, and resilience to disruptive events or threats.
What You Need To Be Successful
Minimum Requirements for Sr. Engineering Specialist:
- You must hold a Bachelor’s degree in a supporting technical science or engineering discipline
- You must have substantive experience in the space, intelligence, and/or defense domains, typically 2 or more years
- You need the ability to develop project plans, identify high-impact deliverables, and manage schedule commitments
- You need the ability to organize and lead cross-functional, cross-organizational teams to execute studies and assessments
- You need excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with customers, Aerospace program offices, and contractors; to collaborate with other functional organizations within Aerospace; and to mentor and develop junior staff
- You must be available and willing to travel domestically and internationally approx. 5-10%
- This position requires a current and active TS/SCI security clearance, which is issued by the US government. U.S citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance
Additional Minimum Requirements For Senior Engineering Specialist
- You must have experience with business model development, strategy development, program capability roadmap development, and project planning
- You must have experience developing and presenting strategic decision-making and strategic communications artifacts for senior-level management and technical architecture design artifacts for engineering-level reviews
How You Can Stand Out
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
- A completed or active in-progress pursuit of a Master’s degree or graduate certificate in a supporting business discipline such as enterprise architecture, business transformation, change management, entrepreneurship, supply chain management, or product lifecycle management
- 10 or more years with substantial experience in the space, intelligence, and/or defense domains
- Training in Business Architecture, Lean Startup, and/or SAFe Agile methods, techniques, and processes
- Experience working closely with key Aerospace customer agencies in the defense and intelligence community, including strong knowledge of their domain and strong professional networks
- Experience in enterprise architecture covering business strategy development, organization development, and solution architecture domains
- Experience in operations capability management, contingency operations planning, and operations needs management
- Experience leading and executing organizational change management and/or digital transformation initiatives
- Experience planning, leading, and facilitating multi-stakeholder change management events
- Experience developing and interpreting business financial statements, proforma budget analyses, and performing strategic business case analyses such as project valuation for investment decision-making
- Experience, education, training and/or certification in strategic foresighting practices
- Experience performing and using technology assessments for business/mission application, supply chain risk assessments, and/or industrial health assessments
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan — Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other—the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you’re an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at email@example.com. You can also review Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.