National Radio Astronomy ObservatoryPosition Description
The National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO) announces an opportunity for a Senior Budget Manager to join our team in Charlottesville, Virginia. The Senior Budget Manager will manage the operational budgets and reporting processes including collection, population, and analysis of organization and business data for the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA). ALMA is an array of 66 radio antennas located at 16,500 feet (5,000 meters) elevation in the remote Chilean Andes. Commissioned in 2013, ALMA is one of the largest ground-based astronomical projects in the world. ALMA is used to investigate the origins of galaxies, stars, and planets, and is supported by a diverse technical team on four continents (North America, South America, Europe, and East Asia).
This position works with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders including significant interaction with the Assistant Director for ALMA North American Operations and coordination with the Office of Chile Affairs and the Joint ALMA Observatory international partnership.
The Observatory has a commitment to building and sustaining a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace. We encourage applications from candidates who have varying experience and backgrounds who share our commitment to sustaining an inclusive workplace.
Medical, dental, and vision plans are effective on the first day of employment. NRAOs retirement benefit contributes an amount equal to 10 percent of a qualified participants base pay. No contribution is required of the employee; we also offer an optional supplemental, tax-deferred plan for employee retirement contributions.Job Duties Summary
The Senior Budget Manager will be responsible for local compliance with 2 Part CFR200 regulations governing expenditures; support the operation of the facility, which requires knowledge of accounting practices, analytical, managerial, personnel, report writing skills, and knowledge of proper use of commitment authority and audit practices; work closely with one or more Assistant Directors to meet fiscal and organizational reporting needs; may coordinate activities with other sites or divisions. Additionally, the Senior Budget Manager will regularly review operating budgets to analyze trends affecting budget needs, work with stakeholders to develop multi-year operating budgets, and make budget allocation recommendations; will work with stakeholders and functional managers to ensure the Work Breakdown and Chart of Accounts structures support functional and reporting needs; will prepare detailed budget charts, tables, and spreadsheets, as needed, in support of a variety of budgetary analyses and special projects; will compile and display data using table and graph spreadsheet applications. This position is an extension of the budget office serving a division. The incumbent must be able to initiate, propose, and implement processes and procedures that serve the division at the same time that they comply with Observatory practice and requirements. The essential duties and responsibilities will include:
- Developing, monitoring, and reviewing budgets and forecasts to annual schedule;
- Interfacing with budget holders on division budgets, project budgets, ad hoc reports, and budget explanations;
- Evaluating budgets in terms of organizational priorities and financial resources;
- Assisting in the preparation and justification of budget requests;
- Automating financial reporting processes;
- Preparing various month-end and special analysis reports;
- Preparing electronic timekeeping (ETK) labor reviews, personnel action notices (PANs) and general ledger adjusting entries;
- Preparing journal entries and PANs for budget and expense adjustments;
- Working with the Fiscal Department in coordination with Observatory Budget Division to assure audit-ready documentation of transactions;
- Developing and maintaining accounting procedures to assure allowable & accurate expenditure of external funds including providing information for invoicing;
- Maintaining the accounting structure for the division following the work breakdown structure and commitment authority;
- Managing program and other external income and invoicing from NA ALMA partners and related funding sources;
- Managing the budget and financial operations of the North American ALMA Development Office;
- Provide quarterly and annual financial reports to the Joint ALMA Observatory (JAO), and provide other budgetary information to the JAO as needed;
- Provide budgetary support for the NRAO and Associated Universities, Inc (AUI) Office of Chile Affairs in Santiago;
- Training staff and overseeing accounting requirements for projects and other activities;
- May carry out other related finance/administrative functions, as required.
The Senior Budget Manager will work with a high degree of independence. While performing the duties of this job, the employee typically sits at a desk, uses a personal computer, telephone, photocopier, scanner, facsimile, and other standard office equipment. Travel to other NRAO sites and to the ALMA offices in Chile may be required.Position Requirements
Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field and/or certifications (CMA, CFM, CPA), or equivalent work experience required.Preferred Education
Advanced degree (MBA) is preferred.Minimum Experience
Seven years of highly relevant work experience in a financial analysis and administrative role.
- Must be familiar with accounting standards, including 2 Part CFR 200, concepts, practices and procedures within the Observatory or a similar environment including chart of accounts and report generation processes.
- Must be highly organized and detail-oriented.
- Must demonstrate critical thinking and problem-solving skills in complex environments.
- Excellent computer skills and experience using spreadsheets, charting, and other software tools, such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work with individuals at all levels in the organization.
- Must be self-directed.
- Must hold and maintain a valid drivers license.
Select the Apply button below. Please be prepared to upload your current CV/Resume and a letter of application describing interest and suitability for the position.Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
AUI is an equal opportunity employer. Women, Minorities, Vietnam-Era Veterans, Disabled Veterans, Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. To view our complete statement, please visit http://jobs.jobvite.com/nrao/jobs. If you require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process due to a disability, you may submit your request by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The NRAO is an equal opportunity employer (M/F/D/V)
The National Radio Astronomy Observatory is a facility of the National Science Foundation operated under cooperative agreement by Associated Universities, Inc.