National Radio Astronomy ObservatoryPosition Description
The National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO) is a prestigious and diverse research facility that plays a vital role in the study of the universe. The Observatory operates a variety of radio telescopes that span the globe, including the famous Very Large Array (VLA) in New Mexico, the Green Bank Telescope in West Virginia, and the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA) in Chile. These telescopes are among the most advanced in the world, allowing astronomers to explore the universe in unprecedented detail.
At the NRAO, we have an employment opportunity for a Facilities Manager position to lead an Observatory-wide approach to sustainability, infrastructure maintenance, and risk identification. The NRAO facilities are located in a variety of environments including college and university campuses, office developments, other federal lands, and remote dedicated spaces without municipal services. Our manager will support leases and vehicle management, energy management, and creation and maintenance of site Master Plans. This position will work closely with the Environmental, Health and Safety Department to assure physical security of NRAO sites and property.
The location for the position will be based at our headquarters in Charlottesville, Virginia. In addition to competitive pay, the NRAO provides excellent paid time off benefits (vacation and sick leave). Medical, dental and vision plans are effective first day of employment. The NRAOs retirement benefit contributes an amount equal to 10 percent of a qualified participants base pay. No contribution is required of the employee; we also offer an optional supplemental, tax-deferred plan for employee retirement contributions.Job Duties Summary
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Initiate and coordinate NRAO sustainability efforts
- Manage and conduct facilities support for varied environment to include college campus grounds, buildings on federal property and remote stand-alone locations.
- Interact with landlords to assure timely, complete, and appropriate maintenance
- Contract outside support and services where needed
- Supervise shipping and receiving function
- Space allocation
- Oversee site master plan process for all NRAO sites (VA, WVA, NM, Chile, VLBA sites)
- Assure common format/process for maintenance needs identification and follow through
- Assure common format/process for and collection of forecasts of power, heating, and cooling needs
- Assure timely notice to NSF of changes in site Master Plans
- In partnership with AUI Fiscal, participate in and facilitate inventory
- Support overall operations of and represent Charlottesville in NRAO Facilities Round Table
- Set Observatory guidelines for Fleet management (100+ vehicles) and track compliance
- In partnership with Environmental Safety and Security, assure inclusion, implementation and maintenance of physical security measures in facilities planning
- Oversee and facilitate lease negotiations for NRAO facilities, including the possibility of site selection and lease negotiations for new NRAO locations
- Review and monitor facilities related risk register items
Work is typically performed in an office setting within a research or development environment.Position Requirements
Bachelors degree or equivalent related experience.Minimum Experience
Five (5) years of related experienceQualifications
Background in facilities management and/or logistics support in a multi-site/building environment. Project management background or facilities certifications a plus. Experience with LEED programs and sustainability initiatives. Person should possess strong collaborative skills. Knowledge of EIS and historical property maintenance requirements.
Use of package software, standard ERP interfaces, Excel, and M/S programs.
Physical Conditions/Nature of Work: Seated computer work, walking outdoors in remote environments. Travel up to 15% by domestic and international air carrier required.
The selected candidate must successfully pass a post-offer, pre-employment background check as a condition of employment.Application Instructions
Select the Apply button. Please be prepared to upload your current CV/Resume and a cover letter describing interest and suitability for the position.Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
AUI is an equal opportunity employer. Women, Minorities, Vietnam-Era Veterans, Disabled Veterans, Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. To view our complete statement, please visit http://jobs.jobvite.com/nrao/jobs. If you require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process due to a disability, you may submit your request by sending an email to email@example.com.
The NRAO is an equal opportunity employer (M/F/D/V)
The National Radio Astronomy Observatory is a facility of the National Science Foundation operated under cooperative agreement by Associated Universities, Inc.