Our long-term client relationship with KBR has led to a need for a Trajectory Operations Officer (TOPO) on the Integrated Mission Operations Contract II (IMOC II) contract at Johnson Space Center (Houston, TX).
Building on more than four decades of experience in providing innovative integration solutions for government and commercial space programs, Barrios offers an extensive range of engineering, software, and related technology integration services in support of the aerospace community. As a woman-owned and operated small business, we are a people-focused company that supports professional development, while working to ensure that you maintain a healthy work-life balance.
Barrios employees actively participate in the growth of the commercial spaceflight industry through our partnerships with companies leading commercial space development, as well as successfully supporting NASA as our primary government customer. Our long history supporting Low Earth Orbit (LEO) on the International Space Station, and now Commercial LEO, lays the groundwork for future missions to the Moon through our work on Orion, Gateway, and the Space Launch System.
The Trajectory Operations Officer (TOPO) Will
- Support the Trajectory Operations and Planning Officer (TOPO) group within the Flight Dynamics Division of the Flight Operations Directorate at the NASA - Johnson Space Center. Primary responsibilities will include, but not limited to:
- Attain a TOPO flight controller console certification and support missions and training simulations from the TOPO console.
- Process International Space Station (ISS) orbit determination data (state vectors) from multiple sources daily for the ISS, Visiting Vehicles, Tracking and Data Relay Satellite System (TDRSS), and orbital debris.
- Coordinates and monitors the execution of all ISS translation maneuvers, performing debris avoidance maneuver planning as required.
- Generate the data used to predict the location of the ISS for long term planning and short term execution, including altitude strategy.
- Support the development and maintenance of operations products such as flight rules, console procedures, and technical references.
- Be required to support or lead certain technical analyses relating to trajectory operations, as appropriate.
- Once certified as a TOPO, will be expected to participate in the training of other TOPO candidates.
- Coordinate with the ISS Program, International Partners, and commercial vendors on new vehicle design and operations.
- Travel and support a flexible work week (shift work) as infrequent early morning, late evening, weekend, and holiday work may be required to support real-time launch schedules.
- Provide 24/7/365 on-call support with 24/7 support during dynamic events (ISS extravehicular activity (EVA), ISS translation maneuvers (ISS re-boosts/de-boosts), debris avoidance evaluation and maneuvers, visiting vehicle dock/undock, CubeSat deployments).
- Training for and/or maintaining flight controller certification through individual study, proficiency examination, and/or generic/mission-specific simulated environment.
- Developing training lessons and presentations.
- Interfacing with NASA customer daily, as well as many other technical and engineering organizations.
- Representing the TOPO at different NASA panels, boards, and working groups.
- Supporting a multitude of meetings and concisely reporting notable and actionable results to management. Note, in some cases facilitating one or more meetings and taking minutes or summarizing the meeting.
- Writing and reviewing flight rules, operational interface procedures, console procedure, cue cards, system briefs, and other needed operational documentation.
- Creating and quality assuring relatable mission data products for internal and external customers
- Developing software requirements for and testing console situational awareness tools, data production tools, and/or analysis tools.
- Perform other duties as required.
This position is posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate’s experience, position requirements and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.
- BS Degree in Engineering, Physics, or Math from an accredited engineering school, college or university.
- OR -
- Currently enrolled in a BS degree program in Engineering, Physics, or Math at an accredited engineering school, college or university with an anticipated graduation no later than June 2023.
- Knowledge of engineering principles and the ability to apply them to real-time operations is essential.
- Must be able to make quick effective judgment especially under pressure, and have the ability to put things in perspective, weigh options, assess relevant information, anticipate any consequence – good or bad; AND have an unfaltering ability to think clearly, and a capacity to compartmentalize and set stress aside.
- Must possess and demonstrate excellent soft skills (intangible and non-technical abilities) in communication, self-motivation, teamwork, problem-solving, leadership, time management, flexibility, and negotiation/conflict resolution.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, leadership, teamwork, technical, and administrative skills.
- Must be able to work in a dynamic environment that requires him/her to work effectively both alone and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, lead, and coordinate a wide range of tasks.
- Ability and willingness to attain an ISS TOPO flight control certification.
- Ability to support shiftwork (nights, weekends, and holidays) is required.
- Must be able to travel.
- Previous experience with or coursework in basic engineering, orbital/celestial mechanics, and spacecraft flight dynamics is highly desired.
- Aerospace Engineer with a sound understanding of (and passion for) orbital/celestial mechanics and spacecraft flight dynamics.
- Education or experience with basic engineering, orbital/celestial mechanics, and spacecraft flight dynamics, real-time spacecraft trajectory system design, analysis, and/or operations is highly desired.
- Education or experience with Linux shell scripting, Python, or commercial off-the-shelf tools, such as Matlab, and/or FreeFlyer, is also highly desired.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen and successfully complete a U.S. government background investigation.
- Post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol as outlined in our Drug Free Workplace policy.
- Applicant selected may be subject to government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
- Work may involve sitting for extended periods.
- May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lb.
- Must have sufficient mobility to enter areas of test facilities where necessary.
- Generally an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on task.
- Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, fax, etc.)
- Regular attendance in accordance with established work schedule is critical.
- Ability to work outside normal schedule and adjust schedule to meet peak periods and surge requirements when required.
- Must be able to work in a team atmosphere.
- Must put forward a professional behavior that enhances productivity and promotes teamwork and cooperation.
- Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others.
- This position may require some commuting and traveling to other installations as needed.
Don’t miss out on this great opportunity; for immediate consideration, apply now!
Barrios Technology is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in several states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
Barrios Technology is an Equal Employment Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, veteran status, genetic information, union status and/or beliefs, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
Job ID: 2023-2272
External Company URL: http://www.barrios.com/