Job Purpose And Primary Objectives
Benchmark Space Systems has an opening for the position of a Production Engineer. Applicants should have a bachelor's degree in engineering.
The Production Engineer will be part of the Production team and will be responsible for supporting production at Benchmark Space Systems. Primary responsibilities will include assisting production efforts at our Vermont facility, creating plans for maturation of Benchmark's propulsion systems, managing inventory and production schedules.
This role is an on-site role in our Burlington, VT location.
Benchmark Space Systems is a leader in small satellite propulsion systems and in-space mobility services. We are focused on providing the most cost-effective propulsion solution for our clients/partner's Small Satellite mission needs, from simple orbit adjustments to high-agility maneuvers. Our patented and proprietary innovations have been specifically designed to improve safety and capability for spacecraft ranging from 3U through ESPA class. Specifically, our mission is to improve our client's/partner's missions through collaborative partnership and creative in-space mobility product solutions that are responsive to the safety, reliability, and cost-of-performance requirements of fundamental or advanced SmallSat and Rideshare missions.
Measurements Of Success/Primary Job Responsibilities
At its core, Benchmark is an entrepreneurial, fast paced organization. In this environment, we need all employees to solve problems, not be afraid to ask questions and be able to work with and help colleagues in different departments and positions by digging in and working on other tasks as needed/assigned depending on business needs.
With that said, there are primary job responsibilities and measurements of success for this position, which are:
- Creating and managing assembly and testing schedule.
- Documenting assembly processes to a critical level of fidelity.
- Creating as built records for assemblies.
- Developing assembly and testing processes.
- Managing controlled inventory.
- Vendor communications.
- Maintaining a clean work area and assisting in general facilities upkeep.
- Other responsibilities that may be needed from time to time to assist in business operations.
- 2+ years of experience in a production or manufacturing environment.
- Strong organization, record-keeping, and written/verbal communication skills.
- A passion for space technology and emerging ecosystems in and around current and future space activities.
- Be/become proficient in: Microsoft & Adobe Suite as well as possess the ability, agility, and can-do attitude to work in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, and matrixed cross-functional environment.
Education And/or Experience
Specifically for this position, we require you have:
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical, Manufacturing, Aerospace, Electrical, Software Engineering, or a closely related field.
- Ability to work on ITAR (export-restricted) technologies (US Persons and previously authorized applicants only. BSS cannot sponsor a new ITAR authorization application)
Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities
- What you bring to the position, or have the ability to swiftly learn and be successful in:
- Inventory management and material handling experience.
- Experience working with propulsion systems.
- Component quality and dimensional inspection experience.
- Experience working within PDM and MRP systems.
- Experience with drawing review, release and DFM.
- Experience managing production assembly documentation including manufacturing orders and engineering change notices.
- Ability to read and understand mechanical and electrical drawings, diagrams, schematics, and manuals.
What Makes You Stand Out
- Previous experience within the aerospace and defense industry.
- Health insurance (100% coverage for individuals, 80% for families).
- Vision and dental insurance.
- Company paid life, AD&D, and disability insurances.
- Voluntary life insurance.
- FSA (health and dependent care).
- Employee assistance program.
- 401(k) with employer match.
- Flexible schedule.
- Unlimited vacation.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions
While performing duties of this job, the employee is predominately functioning in a sedentary light office position with high frequency of telephone communication, keyboarding, and computer.