The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation’s space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space— delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you’ll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration – to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
The space industry and acquisition practices are going through an exciting time of change. We are looking for leader to strengthen our acquisition capabilities to help our customer’s meet their mission challenges.
The Systems Engineering Division (SED) provides unmatched experience in systems engineering to the U.S. government and to numerous public and private agencies, universities, nonprofit organizations, consortia, and commercial companies involved in the advanced application of space technology. From systems architecture development to system analysis and optimization, astrodynamics, orbital debris, navigation, failure analysis, mission assurance, cost and schedule assessment, and economic market analysis, SED exploits an incredibly broad array of engineering and business disciplines against a diverse and dynamic portfolio of programs and national challenges.
The Agile Systems Engineering, Planning and Analysis (ASEPA) Department concentrates on delivering strategic planning, acquisition, and systems engineering planning expertise and products to form a sound basis for space, ground, and launch system program acquisition lifecycle activities for the USSF, NASA, NOAA, DOE, Intelligence Community (IC) and other Agencies.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Advance pre-acquisition capabilities and initiatives
- Deliver timely and relevant responses to customer pre-acquisition and planning needs, to include acquisition strategies, RFP development/assessments, and source selection support
- Strengthen programs by performing independent program assessments
- Develop innovative, fit-to-need program approaches with supporting analytical planning products to improve acquisition planning and execution outcomes
- Guide customers in defining, scoping, and communicating technical requirements to facilitate acquisition and mission success
- Balance and actively contribute to multiple work assignments
- This position enables hybrid work schedule which requires at least 3 days per week in an office depending on customer needs and requirements
This position is available as a Sr. Engineering Specialist or an Engineering Specialist
What You Need to be Successful
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited program in an applicable field
- Experience in developing or assessing space related/supporting system acquisition strategies and request for proposal documents
- Knowledge of systems definition, architecture-level tradeoffs, project planning, requirements definition or program review principles
- Familiarity with systems acquisition management fields, including but not limited to financial management and contracting
- Ability to work in a self-motivated and self-directed manner
- Ability to develop project plans, contribute to high-impact work, and balance schedule commitments
- Willing to travel occasionally for work assignments
- This position requires ability to obtain and maintain a TS/SCI security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
Sr. Engineering Specialist
Same requirements as Engineering Specialist noted above, in addition to:
- Experience successfully presenting decisional/informational material to senior DoD and other US government officials
- Familiarity with USSF, NASA, NOAA, DOE, Research Labs, and IC acquisition policies
- Familiarity with complex systems-of-systems, space, ground, launch, or Command and Control (C2) systems
- Proven capability to be flexible, adaptable; able to handle and perform multiple simultaneous tasks in a multifaceted environment
- Experience working, leading, and collaborating with multi-disciplinary teams
How You Can Stand Out
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
Engineering Specialist or Sr. Engineering Specialist
- Advanced degree from an accredited program in an applicable field
- 8 years of collective relevant experience for an Engineering Specialist
- 12 years or more years of collective relevant experience for a Senior Engineering Specialist
- Experience with Government or commercial space operations
- Experience applying digital acquisition and/or digital engineering to a major acquisition
- Experience with innovative acquisition approaches to address, items such as Agile development methodologies, rapid prototyping / fielding (Middle Tier Acquisition), and use of other transaction authority (OTA)
- Experience providing acquisition risk assessments
- Experience in evaluating, awarding, and execution of Government contracts
- Experience in incorporating commercial acquisitions into traditional DoD programs
- DAWIA Program Manager Level III, PMP, or other relevant certification
We offer a competitive compensation package where you’ll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. The grade-based pay range for this job is listed below. Individual salaries within that range are determined through a wide variety of factors including but not limited to education, experience, knowledge and skills.
(Min - Mid - Max)
$116,000 - $129,500 - $143,000
Pay Basis: Annual
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan — Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other—the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you’re an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also review Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.