SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.SOFTWARE ENGINEER, BROWSER (STARSHIP)
As a Software Engineer specializing in user interface development at SpaceX you will be responsible for the stability and performance of user-centric products that are critical to the execution of a space mission. You will work closely with other SpaceX engineers to better understand their needs in order to develop and run applications that anticipate and solve important problems they face. Propulsion engineers, hardware designers, rocket scientists and others throughout the company will marvel at the simplicity and usability of the interfaces you create. Your work will revolutionize the productivity of the engineering community at SpaceX and directly impact our ability to launch orbital rockets frequently, safely and reliably.RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Optimizing performance of UI applications running on both workstations and spacecraft consoles through updates to applications themselves as well as the backend rendering
- Develop well-architected, responsive, and performant web-based applications
- Understand and implement technologies across the full stack
- Interface with other engineers to plan and organize the development of our products
- Influence how and what we build with demonstrated technical expertise
- Manage the release life cycle and feature roadmap of our products
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, math, or science discipline and 2+ years of experience in software development; OR 4+ years of experience in software development in lieu of a degree
- Understanding of browser's rendering pipeline, web workers, and WebAssembly
- Knowledge of front-end frameworks such as Lit Element, React, or Angular
- Experience with vector and motion graphics, including SVG, HTML5 Canvas, and WebGL
- Familiarity with the whole web stack
- Excellent leadership, communication, and teamwork skills
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
- Must be available to occasionally work extended hours and weekends as needed
Software Engineer/Level I: $120,000.00 - $145,000.00/per year
Software Engineer/Level II: $140,000.00 - $170,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.ITAR REQUIREMENTS:
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C.
- 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C.
- 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX's Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.