Iridium is an award-winning and innovative satellite communications company with bragging rights to the only network that offers voice and data connectivity anywhere in the world. For over 20 years, Iridium’s unique network and services have supported critical communications needs for individuals, businesses, and the evolving Internet of Things.
At Iridium, we understand the importance of staying connected and the limitations of traditional communications networks. People across the globe, including first responders, humanitarians, global militaries, scientific researchers, and lone workers, as well as ships, aircraft and remote operations all rely on Iridium to stay connected. We take our responsibility for providing these essential communications very seriously and pride ourselves on offering a reliable lifeline when needed. Likewise, Iridium is committed to providing an exciting and innovative workplace, where employees are challenged to think outside the box and collaborate on new, bold ideas and solutions. Our talented teams are passionate about their work and the impact our company makes around the world. Iridium fosters an empowering and inclusive culture that allows employees to genuinely be their best selves. We are looking for others who want to join this truly unique company that celebrates our employees and provides the opportunity to truly make a difference in the world.
What We’re Looking For
Iridium is seeking a Senior Engineer to join our Network Operations team. As a Senior Network Ops Engineer, you’ll be responsible for supporting, maintaining, and enhancing Iridium Gateway telecom architecture and service sub-systems. This position provides last tier support to all ground systems operations including Gateway Technical Ops, Tier 2 Customer Support, and Service Delivery. This individual will participate in the architecting, design, development, testing, deployment and maintenance of new systems and applications in response to Iridium business and marketing requirements. Working in this role, you’ll gain valuable experience/knowledge/skills in satellite telecom gateway subsystems, both on premise and cloud systems, while making a meaningful impact on Iridium service availability and new service launches. You’ll be successful in this role if you can draw on previous experiences to triage, diagnose, and drive solutions to a wide range of technical problems.
What You’ll Do
- Work with vendors, subcontractors, and consultants to resolve outstanding issues
- Collaborate with project managers, other subject matter experts, business developers, and others as necessary
- Implement and maintain GW subsystems and services, both on premise and cloud based
- Participate in the administration and maintenance of the remote monitoring and management system update agent scripts, respond to alerts, monitor dashboards, and perform periodic system reviews
- Identify, investigate, and resolve operations issues and work closely with the Operations team to improve maintenance procedures and achieve successful troubleshooting
- Work with team members to ensure high quality products are ready to deploy into production according to assigned schedule
- Investigate and resolve complex system issues escalated from other internal support teams
- Coordinate with vendors to define and improve methods of operations and processes
- Create and maintain maintenance documents for all Gateway network element systems and network infrastructure
- Communicate with customers as required; keep customers informed of incident progress, provide notifications of impending changes and/or agreed outages, etc.
- Work closely with Independent Verification & Validation (IV&V) team to make sure products have been tested thoroughly
- Provide technical support to external and internal groups
What You’ll Need to Succeed
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Computer Science or related field OR equivalent relevant experience in lieu of degree
- 8+ years of relevant experience in the telecommunications or related industry
- Working knowledge, from install to maintenance, of Linux operating systems (Redhat), IP network infrastructure and elements, and Database systems and tools (Oracle, MySQL, SharePlex, Toad); working knowledge of maintaining containers/networking on AWS ECS and EKS.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to clearly convey products, deliverables, analyses, and/or issues to groups outside of your team or those who are unfamiliar with the topic
- Have confidence and be able to easily build relationships with leadership and colleagues outside of your team
- Possess a detail-oriented, analytical mindset, with the ability to understand a situation or problem and think critically to make decisions and come up with out-of-the-box solutions
- Have the ability to learn quickly, multi-task, and prioritize your own tasks--and potentially the tasks of others--while making sure deadlines are met
- Proactive in providing feedback and sharing your knowledge with others
- Have the ability to work both independently, and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Have a passion for the design, development, and maintenance of real-time telecommunications systems.
Things That Would be Great if You Brought to the Table
- AWS Certifications
- Knowledge of the following
- Communications systems architecture development
- Circuit and packet switched voice and data communications
- VoIP (including network management)
- Experience in any of IPv4 networks, GSM, Telecom, realtime systems
- Direct experience with systems software life cycle
- Experience in SW development preferred, but not required. (C, C++, Python)
- Experience in IP network engineering, development, integration, and testing is strongly desired
We’ll Also Need You To
- Be on call to support major network issues
- Be able to travel up to 10%
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
This position primarily works in the company office or in a home office. The position is largely sedentary with the majority of the position sitting in a chair and working with a computer. The role uses basic office equipment including a phone, video, computer, keyboard, mouse and printer. For meetings in person, this position will need to be able stand, walk within the office and climb stairs on occasion.
Iridium is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or status as a protected veteran. EOE of Minorities/Females/Vets/Disability and other protected categories.