The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation’s space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space— delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you’ll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration – to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
Strategic SATCOM program office is seeking an expert and highly motivated Senior Project Engineer to work within an integrated program office of Air Force, Aerospace, SE&I, and contractors to develop the ESS ground system. We are looking for someone with combination of technical and leadership skills to champion innovation on this fast-paced ESS ground system development in an early acquisition phase. Candidate will apply systems engineering and ground system expertise to ensure needed capabilities are translated and applied to acquisition development efforts, promoting integration of pioneering technology and rapid acquisition efficiencies.
What You’ll Be Doing
- In collaboration with the Government and other team members, you will develop execution plans in support of ground acquisition, ground architecture design, system integration and test strategies
- Work closely with customer team to identify programmatic, technical, and mission assurance challenges and develop timely and quality solutions
- Collaborate in multi-disciplined and multi-organizational technical working group discussions, and provide technical status and recommendations to Aerospace and Government leadership
- Provide the customer with technical assessments of system design, process integrity, and schedule confidence
- Develop and/or conduct technical trades on alternative ground architectures and technologies
- Maintain effective working relationships with customer, contractors, ETG and other supporting contractors
Due to the classified nature of the work, this position will be mostly onsite
What You Need to be Successful - Senior Project Engineer
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related technical subject area and 12 or more years of related experience
- Broad understanding and validated experience across a range of disciples for ground systems engineering, design, integration, and test
- Participation in technical teams in the investigation and analysis of ground system technologies
- Work with mixed government, SE&I, and FFRDC teams in architecture, strategy, and systems engineering projects and tasks
- Experience with the elements and processes associated with a government system acquisition lifecycle
- Capability to present concise briefings and to craft accurate reports and assessments
- Ability to travel up to 20 percent of the time
- Active Secret clearance with ability to obtain Top Secret / SCI clearance, issued by the US government. U.S citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance
How You Can Stand Out
It would be nice if you had one or more of these:
- Advanced academic degree in systems engineering, electrical engineering, computer science, computer engineering, or a related engineering or scientific field
- Solid understanding of ground system architectures, satellite communications technologies, agile software development, digital engineering/model based systems engineering, cloud computing, and cybersecurity
- Involvement in direct support of a government customer in program office
- Proven track record to work in fast-paced environment with changing priorities
- Engagement with commercial ground system vendors and understanding of commercial technologies
- Involvement with satellite operations command and control systems
- Participation with MILSATCOM or other communications satellite systems
- Practical knowledge of prototyping advanced ground system technologies
We offer a competitive compensation package where you’ll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. The grade-based pay range for this job is listed below. Individual salaries within that range are determined through a wide variety of factors including but not limited to education, experience, knowledge and skills.
(Min - Mid - Max)
$117,027 - $192,281 - $267,534
Pay Basis: Annual
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan — Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other—the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you’re an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also review Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.