The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation’s space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space— delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you’ll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration – to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
The Aerospace Physical Sciences Laboratories (PSL) is a diverse scientific organization that provides a broad and innovative research and development backplane for a growing space enterprise. PSL’s impact is grown through a diverse research portfolio that blends foundational scientific research with cutting-edge technology development to serve a broad customer base. PSL’s exclusive ability to work with all stakeholders: (government, industry, and academia) enables us to provide novel solutions to the most challenging issues in current and future technology applications. The strength of PSL comes from the combination of cutting-edge tools and facilities, a vast repository of space-system knowledge, and the extensive technical expertise of our people. We harness these tools and expertise in over 150 different laboratories to tackle the new challenges for the space enterprise.
The Microelectronics Technology Department (MTD) within PSL conducts reliability studies, anomaly resolution and failure analysis, and applied research in microelectronic and optoelectronic devices for space applications and provides technical support to national security space programs in these areas.
As the X-ray Tomography Scientist
(XCT) SME, you will be responsible for supporting investigations of microelectronics reliability and physics of failure and develop and maintain a high level of proficiency in XCT data acquisition, analysis, and interpretation. You will serve a variety of internal and external customers through short-term analysis projects and timely reporting of data. Additionally, you will develop long-term research plans and execute them in addition to mentoring junior staff and leading department projects.
This is a full-time position based in El Segundo, CA, offering a hybrid work model that combines regular onsite laboratory work and remote flexibility as the business needs allow.
Highlights of our lab's capabilities can be seen here:
Department Virtual Tour link
What You’ll Be Doing
- You will serve National Space Security programs by providing x-ray imaging for failure analysis in microelectronics, optoelectronics, and other materials and structures for space applications
- Develop new capabilities for x-ray imaging, tomogram reconstruction, and x-ray materials analysis
- Work with internal and external scientists to apply x-ray imaging and tomography to problems in various technologies including batteries, solar cells, structural materials and composites, and additively manufactured metals
- Create formal reliability assessments for internal and external customers
- Lead failure analysis projects that include the contributions of many staff members and many different types of data and analysis
This position is available as either a Research Scientist or Senior Scientist
What You Need to be Successful
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, physics, computer science, biomedical engineering, or material science or equivalent is required
- (8) years experience in either non-destructive evaluation, a microelectronics-related industry, or applicable professional or educational experience is required
- Understanding of materials and device characterization techniques including x-ray computed tomography and scanning electron microscopy
- This position requires ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance
Same requirements as a Research Scientist noted above, in addition to:
- (12) years experience in either non-destructive evaluation, a microelectronics-related industry, or applicable professional or educational experience is required
How You Can Stand Out
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
Research Scientist or Senior Scientist
- PhD in electrical engineering, physics, computer science, biomedical engineering, or material science or equivalent is strongly preferred
- Knowledge of integrated circuit/semiconductor physics, fabrication, and packaging
- Proficient in Python, MATLAB, and/or C/C++
- Understanding of microanalysis techniques including scanning electron microscopy, focused ion beam imaging and processing, atomic force microscopy, transmission electron microscopy, and secondary ion mass spectrometry
- Understanding of or experience with radiation effects in microelectronics, radiation detector physics, or sealed radioactive sources
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to effectively convey technical information to non-technical personnel via oral and written forms
We offer a competitive compensation package where you’ll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. The grade-based pay range for this job is listed below. Individual salaries within that range are determined through a wide variety of factors including but not limited to education, experience, knowledge and skills.
(Min - Mid - Max)
$105,000 - $145,969 - $185,015
Pay Basis: Annual
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan — Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other—the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you’re an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also review Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.