Iridium is an award-winning and innovative satellite communications company with bragging rights to the only network that offers voice and data connectivity anywhere in the world. For over 20 years, Iridium’s unique network and services have supported critical communications needs for individuals, businesses, and the evolving Internet of Things.
At Iridium, we understand the importance of staying connected and the limitations of traditional communications networks. People across the globe, including first responders, humanitarians, global militaries, scientific researchers, and lone workers, as well as ships, aircraft and remote operations all rely on Iridium to stay connected. We take our responsibility for providing these essential communications very seriously and pride ourselves on offering a reliable lifeline when needed. Likewise, Iridium is committed to providing an exciting and innovative workplace, where employees are challenged to think outside the box and collaborate on new, bold ideas and solutions. Our talented teams are passionate about their work and the impact our company makes around the world. Iridium fosters an empowering and inclusive culture that allows employees to genuinely be their best selves. We are looking for others who want to join this truly unique company that celebrates our employees and provides the opportunity to truly make a difference in the world.
What We’re Looking For
The Senior Systems Administrator will partner with our Network Infrastructure team on the management and monitoring of SDA network infrastructure. Responsibilities include managing a Redhat Openstack platform, along with Dell Compute Systems, Netapp Storage, as well as AWS hosted systems. In this role, you will provide support to the overall SDA and remote Teleport Systems by configuring and maintaining Local and remote infrastructure equipment and devices. In addition, you’ll participate in, and at times lead, the implementation of solutions that follow Government best practice guiding principles.
What You’ll Do
- Provide day-to-day support and maintenance for all Compute, Storage, and AWS Systems and applications across the network, both locally and remote
- Responsible for the administration, maintenance, tuning, and applying directed solutions to Development and Production Systems running Redhat Openstack & Redhat OS
- Responsible for administrating, maintaining, performance tuning, and troubleshooting multiple Kubernetes environments
- Responsible for administrating, maintaining, performance tuning, and troubleshooting Openstack, AWS, Linux, and Platform software
- Ensure proper backup processes are in place to allow for full recovery of sites and documents
- Conduct regularly scheduled security audits across all Linux systems
- Work directly with engineers and operators to investigate and troubleshoot issues and outages in real-time, recommending solutions to address issues
- Be accountable for the development and maintenance of processes, procedures, and diagrams, as it relates to system flows and installation
What You’ll Need to Succeed
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, MIS, Engineering or related program of study; or equivalent, relevant, and progressively responsible experience
- 8+ years of relevant professional experience
- 5+ years of hands-on experience administering and maintaining Kubernetes, AWS, Openstack, and/or Linux environments
- A moderate understanding of system networking in order to support the network team and troubleshoot issues
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to clearly convey products, deliverables, analyses, and/or issues to groups outside of your team or those who are unfamiliar with the topic
- Have confidence and be able to easily build relationships with leadership and colleagues outside of your team
- Possess an analytical mindset, with the ability to understand a situation or problem and think critically to make decisions and come up with out-of-the-box solutions
- Be proactive in providing feedback and be enthusiastic in sharing your knowledge with others
- Capable of prioritizing your own tasks and potentially the tasks of others while making sure deadlines are met
- Well versed in use of MS PowerPoint, Excel, and Visio
Things That Would be Great if You Brought to the Table
- Government Operations experience in a 24/7 NOC environment
- Any relevant technical certifications (i.e., CompTIA, RHCSA, MSCE, F5, etc.)
- Advanced skills with Nagios Monitoring performance tools
- Advanced skills with shell scripting for server deployment and administration
We’ll also need you to
- Be able to support 24/7 on-call on an as-needed basis
- Be able to travel occasionally, about 3 to 4 times per year
- S. Citizenship required
- Able to obtain a TS/SCI clearance
- Be able to lift 30 lbs.
This position is located on a Military base and requires you to be in person 100%, there is no remote work avaialble unless traveling to support ongoing training and meetings. The position is largely sedentary with the majority of the position sitting in a chair and working with a computer. The role uses basic office equipment including a phone, video, computer, keyboard, mouse and printer. For meetings in person, this position will need to be able to stand, walk within the office, and climb stairs on occasion.
Iridium is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or status as a protected veteran. EOE of Minorities/Females/Vets/Disability and other protected categories.