Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.Space Systems
This is a rare opportunity to play a key role in Rocket Lab’s evolution into an end-to-end space company that delivers launch, spacecraft, and on-orbit operations. The Space Systems Division is shaping Rocket Lab’s future with Photon, our brand of high-performance satellites, enabling innovative missions in low Earth orbit and beyond including missions for NASA to LEO, the Moon, and Mars and commercial customers including leading the design and manufacture of 17 high power telecommunication spacecraft buses for Globalstar.
Rocket Lab is also growing spacecraft components business, anchored on the acquisition of Sinclair Interplanetary manufacturing reaction wheels and star trackers in Toronto, SolAero Technologies manufacturing solar power and primary structure solutions in Albuquerque, Planetary Systems Corporation manufacturing launch separation systems in Silver Spring, and Advanced Solutions, Inc. provider flight and ground software as a service in Denver. Our component’s business is key to vertically integrating our spacecraft solutions and enabling constellations for customers.Embedded Flight Software Engineer
In this role, you will play a key role in supporting the development of flight software for our Space Systems programs. You’ll spend your days participating in all aspects of software design and development, from requirements definition through coding and testing. And when we say test, we mean your software will be on orbit within weeks and months, not years. Thanks to having our own rockets and launch sites, we have frequent opportunities to test and operate our software on orbit.
This role is for someone who wants to see their software make a big impact on the way we explore space and use it as a platform for discovery and innovation.Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop application software to run within a Real Time Operating System (RTOS) and/or embedded Linux
- Develop hardware drivers to interface to Inertial Measurement Units (IMUs), Star Trackers, Reaction Wheels and other spacecraft sensors and actuators
- Develop and maintain comprehensive unit tests to run within a Continuous Integration framework
- Collaborate with hardware-in-the-loop test engineers to verify and validate combined software and hardware functionality
- Collaborate with systems engineers and embedded systems engineers in developing, documenting and validating requirements
- Participate in review of source code changes and ensure all changes meet company coding standards
- Participate in design reviews such as a PDR and CDR
- Assist with on-orbit (and interplanetary!) flight operations
- An engineering degree in computer science, electrical engineering, computer engineering, or equivalent technical degree
- 3+ years of demonstrated applicable experience in embedded software development
- Proficiency in C and C++ languages
- Experience with Real Time Operating Systems (RTOS) or with Embedded Linux
- United States Citizen
- Experience developing software and drivers with CAN/CAN-FD and/or UDP/TCP within an embedded system
- Experience developing software for autonomous vehicles operating in harsh environments, such as satellites or autonomous vehicles
The expected salary range for the position is displayed in accordance with the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act. Final agreed upon compensation is based upon individual qualifications and experience. Estimated salary wage (Colorado only): Compensation:
$90,000 to $115,000
The expected salary range for the position is displayed in accordance with the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act. Final agreed upon compensation is based upon individual qualifications and experience.
In addition to base salary, Rocket Lab offers a comprehensive total compensation offer package based on individual qualifications and experience, including company stock. Employees will also be eligible for medical, dental, vision coverage, 401(k) retirement plan options, and to purchase discounted stock through Rocket Lab's Employee Stock Purchase Program.
Pay Range (CO Only)
$90,000 — $115,000 USDImportant Information
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR
- 120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations fromthe U.S Department of State.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for the application/interview process for a job in the United States should contact Giulia Biow atFOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here