Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.SPACE SYSTEMS
This is a rare opportunity to play a key role in Rocket Lab’s evolution into an end-to-end space company that delivers launch, spacecraft, and on-orbit operations. The Space Systems Division is shaping Rocket Lab’s future with Photon, our brand of high-performance satellites, enabling innovative missions in low Earth orbit and beyond including missions for NASA to LEO, the Moon, and Mars and commercial customers, including leading the design and manufacture of 17 high-power telecommunication spacecraft buses for Globalstar.
Rocket Lab is also growing our spacecraft components business, anchored on the acquisition of Sinclair Interplanetary manufacturing reaction wheels and star trackers in Toronto, SolAero Technologies manufacturing solar power and primary structure solutions in Albuquerque, Planetary Systems Corporation manufacturing launch separation systems in Silver Spring, and Advanced Solutions, Inc., provider of flight and ground software as a service in Denver. Our components business is key to vertically integrating our spacecraft solutions and enabling constellations for customers.SENIOR RF ENGINEER
Based out of Rocket Lab’s global headquarters in Long Beach, the Senior RF Engineer is responsible for the development of RF communications systems for LEO, lunar, and interplanetary missions. You will work on the design, development, and testing of communications configurations for Telemetry, Tracking & Command (TT&C) and high-rate payload communications. You will support the Space Systems organization, with deliverables required for internal leadership, board of directors, and investors.What You’ll Get To Do
YOU’LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS
- Establish Communications Systems Variants:
- Design and develop standard Telemetry, Tracking & Command (TT&C), and high-rate payload communications systems to be used across low Earth orbit (LEO), lunar, and deep space applications
- Develop and maintain Interface Control Documents (ICDs) between the spacecraft communications systems and on the ground
- Define communications system roadmap
- Business Development Support:
- Select and tailor RF, Telemetry, Tracking & Command (TT&C), and high-rate payload communications solutions as appropriate to meet the requirements of business development opportunities
- Develop system drawings and schematics
- Develop system level RF analyses including link budget analyses
- Develop mass budgets and power budgets
- Trade Studies and Market Surveys:
- Conduct trade studies and work with internal technical teams as necessary to establish balanced technical solutions that align with the communications system roadmap
- Conduct market surveys and identify suppliers and components
- Engage prospective suppliers to ascertain component performance data and assess against system requirements
- Shortlist and recommend components and solutions
- Satellite Integration Support:
- Provide support as needed during spacecraft assembly, integration, & test
- Provide support as required during production of RF components and modules
(Note: you must meet every qualification in order to be considered):
These Qualifications Would Be Nice To Have
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or other technical discipline
- 5+ years of experience with the design, test, and integration of RF communications systems
- Experience performing RF analyses, including cascaded device analysis and link budget analysis
- General understanding of environmental performance standards such as GSFC-STD-7000 and associated qualification and acceptance testing
- General understanding of MIL-STD-461
- Experience designing and testing ground stations
- A solid theoretical and practical understanding of ranging techniques
- Experience working on interplanetary missions using the DSN
- Working knowledge of modulation and coding techniques
- Experience using test equipment including network, spectrum, and signal analyzers
- Proven communication skills and the ability to build strong working relationships
The expected salary range for the position is displayed in accordance with the California Equal Pay for Equal Work Act. Final agreed upon compensation is based upon individual qualifications and experience.
In addition to base salary, Rocket Lab offers a comprehensive total compensation offer package based on individual qualifications and experience, including company stock. Employees will also be eligible for medical, dental, vision coverage, 401(k) retirement plan options, and to purchase discounted stock through Rocket Lab's Employee Stock Purchase Program.
Pay Range (CA Only)
$125,000 — $175,000 USDImportant Information
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR
- 120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations fromthe U.S Department of State.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for the application/interview process for a job in the United States should contact Giulia Biow atFOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here