Join an amazing team designing and developing Flight Software for the Dream Chaser Spaceplane! In this role, you will be directly responsible for developing flight software that will power missions to the International Space Station and beyond. The products you develop will not only go to space, but they will also be a part of shaping the future of Spaceflight. We are truly One Team, with One Dream. Come make history with us.
Sierra Space—based in Louisville, CO with operations in Madison, WI, Durham, NC, Huntsville, AL, Houston, TX, and Kennedy Space Center, FL—designs and manufactures the Dream Chaser spaceplane and other advanced spacecraft, commercial space destinations, satellites, propulsion and environmental systems, spacecraft subsystems and components for the U.S. government (including NASA), commercial customers, and international organizations. Learn more about Sierra SpacePrimary Responsibilities:
- Lead technical development for software development across a large integrated team.
- Work with stakeholders and program management to streamline and optimize development.
- Design and Implement complex, safety and mission critical Flight Software that will manage the Dream Chaser through every aspect: from low level Command and Data Handling (CD&H) to Automation and Fault Detection, Isolation and Recovery (FDIR).
- Develop and execute comprehensive tests at the Unit, Integrated, and Functional Test level to ensure compliance to requirements and adherence to design.
- Integrate various flight software units, components, and data products to ensure a robust software system.
- Develop Software Documentation including but not limited to: Software Requirements Specification, Software Design Descriptions, Software UML Models, Software User Guides, Software Test Plans and Software Test Descriptions.
- Coordinate and collaborate across multi-discipline/multi-organizational teams to understand key aspects of various subsystems, safety requirements and operational requirements.
- Support Hardware-Software Integration Team, Simulation Team and Flight Controllers through Joint Tests with NASA, Qualification of the Software, training of Flight Controllers and support during missions.
- Work within well-defined processes and strong change management discipline to ensure accountability and tracking for all software changes working towards certification with NASA.
- Work products through multiple Agile Scrum teams ensuring accountability and that commitment are met.
- Bachelor's of Science degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or other related discipline and typically 16 or more years of relevant experience
- Advanced capabilities using Computer Aided Engineering tools
- Thorough Understanding of engineering principles and practices
- Progressive experience working in multi-disciplinary teams
- Experience leading engineering teams on a Large Spaceflight Program
- Experience with embedded C/C++
- Understanding of memory, timing and throughput constraints in an embedded system and ensure robust and sound designs that address these issues.
- Experience with Configuration Management platforms (GIT, SVN)
- Experience developing on a Real Time Operating System (VxWorks preferably)
- Experience with Continuous Integration and Automated Test
- Experience and knowledge of Software Design Patterns
- Experience leading integrated multi-discipline teams to investigate and solve complex design and performance issues on a Spacecraft Software System
- Experience leading Integrated Software Designs through PDR, CDR, and various design reviews on a Large Space Craft Program
- Experience using SysML/UML to create Software Designs
- Experience testing and debugging on both Software in the Loop (SITL) and Hardware in the Loop (HITL, on target platform) environments.
- Understanding or ARINC 653
- Understanding of MIL-STD-1553, Ethernet, SPI and techniques for efficient memory storage and retrieval
- Experience performing MCDC Coverage Testing.
- Knowledge of Python
- Ability to present complex and safety critical SW designs to peers and customers.
- Experience Utilizing and setting up Static Analysis Tools
- Experience managing Software Change Control on a Large Spaceflight Program
- Experience working with NASA Software Safety, Safety Review Panel and Computer Safety Panels to relay design concepts and work issues to resolution.
- Experience working with Program Management on a Large Spacecraft Program to solve complex issues including technical, schedule and budget.
- Experience working through complex architectural, performance and testing issues with Automation and FDIR Sequencing Engine a Large Spaceflight Program
To conform to U.S. Government international trade regulations, applicant must be a U.S. Citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State or U.S. Department of Commerce.
With 30+ years of proven spaceflight heritage, Sierra Space has provided more than 4,000 space systems, subsystems and components to customers worldwide, and participated in more than 500 missions to space, including to Mars. The company has technology in production and in development to enable space habitats for short- and long-duration space travel, a fleet of Dream Chaser spaceplanes, and the first free-flying commercial space station. Please visit www.sierraspace.com to learn more about Sierra Space, its business areas, capabilities, programs, products and services.Physical/Mental/Emotional Requirements:
- Frequently walk, sit, stand, climb stairs and steps
- Frequently repeat same hand, arm, and finger motion many times to include finger and hand dexterity
- Rarely lifting or carrying up to 20 lbs.
- Rarely exposed to outdoor elements (high/low temperatures, sun, rain/snow, etc.)
- Rarely exposed to fumes or hazardous chemicals/materials
- Rarely exposed to loud noises
Estimated Starting Salary Range: $159,430.15 - $219,216.46
Sierra Space offers annual incentive pay based upon performance that is commensurate with the level of the position.
Sierra Space offers a generous benefit package, including medical, dental, and vision plans, 401(k) with 150% match up to 8%, life insurance, 3 weeks paid time off, tuition reimbursement, and more.
At Sierra Space, our mission is to dream, innovate, inspire and empower the next generation to transform humanity through technology and imagination. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we welcome our employees to bring their whole selves to their work. Sierra Space is committed to fostering an inclusive, accepting, and diverse environment free of discrimination on the basis of race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. Contributions to Sierra Space come in many shapes and styles, and we believe diversity in our workforce fosters new and greater ways to dream, innovate, and inspire.