One team. Global challenges. Infinite opportunities. At Viasat, we’re on a mission to deliver connections with the capacity to change the world. For more than 35 years, Viasat has helped shape how consumers, businesses, governments and militaries around the globe communicate. We’re looking for people who think big, act fearlessly, and create an inclusive environment that drives positive impact to join our team.What You'll Do
As a part of the satellite operations team at Viasat, the Student Satellite Pilot will be responsible for daily monitoring and command functions for the Viasat fleet of satellites and operating the supporting TT&C ground network. Being part of this team exposes you to hands-on experience in satellite operations, anomaly analysis, troubleshooting, and various engineering aspects related to satellite technology.
The skills outlined in the day-to-day and what you'll need sections, will be utilized to perform tasks such as executing commands and procedures on satellites, monitoring and troubleshooting ground networks, and assisting engineers in creating procedures and automation tools.
The real-world implications of this work are significant, as efficient and reliable satellite operations are essential for providing global communications, internet services, and data transmission. The team's efforts contribute to the smooth functioning of these services, ensuring uninterrupted access for customers and businesses worldwide.
As a Student Satellite Pilot at Viasat, you will have the opportunity to work with a diverse group of professionals, including Lead Satellite Control Engineers, aerospace engineers, electronic systems engineers, and other satellite operations personnel. Collaboration with these experts will provide valuable networking opportunities and further develop skills and knowledge in the field of satellite technology.The day-to-day
As a Student Satellite Pilot, the day-to-day activities will primarily focus on satellite monitoring, operations, and ground network support. In a secondary capacity, the role will involve working directly on integrating cutting-edge software features and/or automating interactions with software to support continuous deployment, thereby having a direct impact on satellite operations and the overall efficiency of satellite operations.
Daily tasks will be executed from a supportive role for the following activities:
- Monitoring and commanding functions for the Viasat fleet of satellites.
- Operating and managing the daily functions of the supporting TT&C ground network.
- Responding to satellite and network alarms and coordinating troubleshooting activities.
- Executing commands and procedures for both nominal and anomalous satellite operations.
- Collecting spacecraft range data and assisting in scheduling and troubleshooting activities.
- Assisting engineers in spacecraft anomaly analysis and generating anomaly reports.
- Monitoring the satellite ground station network and coordinating troubleshooting activities.
- Performing daily checks on spacecraft performance trends and assisting in initial analysis findings.
- Creating shift logs, aiding in shift briefings, and generating telemetry viewer pages.
- Assisting engineers in creating ARES/Stol procedures and custom automation tools using your programming skills.
This role may also involve working on projects that contribute to the improvement of satellite operations and the efficiency of the overall satellite network. This may include helping the team implement new software features, automation tools, or other advancements that can enhance satellite performance or streamline the monitoring and command process.What You'll Need
What Will Help You On The Job
- What you'll need:
- Have an interest in space; a desire to learn; the drive to create
- Pursuing a technical degree in one of the following fields: AE, EE, CS, Physics, ME, Math or simular. (this is also to include community college equivalent engineering degree plans)
- Basic proficiency in Microsoft OS and Office products.
- Availability to work part-time, 12-24 hours per week, on a rotating shift schedule including weekends, holidays, and occasional night shifts.
- Be able to accomadate a year-round, part-time 12 month commitment
- US citizenship.
- What will help you on the job:
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, enabling efficient identification and resolution of satellite and ground network issues.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, facilitating collaboration and knowledge sharing with team members.
- Adaptability and a continuous learning mindset, which allow for staying up-to-date with technological advancements in satellite operations.
- Advanced programming skills (e.g., Python, scripting) that contribute to the development of automation tools and process improvements.
- Knowledge of satellite systems, acquired through previous internships, lab experience, or aerospace club involvement.
$25.24 - $41.8 / hourly
At Viasat, we consider many factors when it comes to compensation, including the scope of the position as well as your background and experience. Base pay may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Additional cash or stock incentives may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered. Learn more about Viasat’s comprehensive benefit offerings that are focused on your holistic health and wellness at careers.viasat.com/LifeAtViasat/Benefits.EEO statement
Viasat is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, genetics, age, or veteran status or any other applicable legally protected status or characteristic. If you would like to request an accommodation on the basis of disability for completing this on-line application, please click here.