Stratolaunch is a technology accelerator that engineers operationally realistic testing at Mach 5+. Our air-launched, Talon testbeds are reusable, cost-effective platforms that enable routine access to the hypersonic environment. We deliver flight data critical to validating system performance and achieving rapid technology deployment. Together with our customers, we drive innovations that are imperative to advancing national security.
To help achieve these efforts, Stratolaunch is seeking an Avionics Engineer – Test & Procedures to support the FTS development for hypersonic aircraft. This position will also lead the procedural development and effort to integrate and test the flight termination system in accordance with RCC-319 and RCC-324. Additionally, this position will include working with other FTS leads, range safety, and other approval authorities to ensure adequate procedure development. You’ll test the FTS both individually and in partnership with range participance per developed procedure. You must be comfortable with component/system development and integration. This position will include evaluation of a broad range of technical data. Candidates must have an aerospace development background and relevant experience in aerospace systems integration.
- Execute the development, implementation, and subsystem level testing of the Flight Termination System through procedure development & execution.
- Coordinate internal & external participance such as FTS technical authority, program management, range approval, manufacturing partners, etc.
- Contribute to flight test planning for integrated (carrier aircraft + pylon + hypersonic vehicle) Stratolaunch missions
- Collaborate with range safety personnel to develop flight termination system requirements
- Contribute to coordination of range testing
- Support design reviews throughout vehicle development
- Contribute to other RF system design, test, and integration
- Regular and comprehensive communication to the FTS lead on a real time basis
- Travel, as needed, to support the department
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity, and fulfillment of commitments
Qualifications & Skills
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Knowledge of, and experience with, one or more of these disciplines: mechanical design and engineering, structural engineering, electrical engineering, aircraft and/or launch vehicle integration
- Experience developing & executing procedures for Avionics & other aircraft flight components.
- Experience working with government processes for document review and approval
- Experience with environmental testing such as thermal cycling, random vibration, & pyro-shock
- Knowledge of environmental testing standards such as MIL-STD-810, SMC-S-016, DO-160, NASA-HDBK-7005
- Experience with aircraft prototype development, including releasing Engineering definition and developing work instructions
- Experience with technical aerospace leadership, including working with sub-contractors
- Experience with test planning and execution
- Experience with risk management
- Ability to communicate technical challenges and guidance to varied audiences to explain rationale and/or resolve concerns
- Ability to work on their own initiative and prioritize tasking to fit within the business goals
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing priorities
- Experience with RCC-319-19, RCC-324-11, and/or RCC-313-01
- Experience with flight termination destruct methods such as ordnance
- Experience developing environmental test specifications
- Experience with instrumentation (accelerometers, thermocouples)
- Engineering computing languages & tools (C, C++, AGI STK, HFSS)
- Experience working directly with range safety offices
- Experience with air-launch programs
- Security clearance
Required Computer Skills:
- Engineering software tools (Matlab or equivalent)
- Computer Aided Design tools (CATIA, Solidworks, NX, or equivalent)
- MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Configuration management systems (Git, Bitbucket, JIRA, or equivalent)
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from accredited institution and 5+ years of engineering experience, OR equivalent combination of education and experience
Special remarks regarding work environment, if applicable
Benefits and our location:
- Location: Based in Mojave, CA. Consideration for remote or partial remote/on-site work.
- Travel estimated to be <5%
Mojave Air & Spaceport is located 95 miles north of Los Angeles. To outsiders it may seem like it is the middle-of-nowhere, but it offers both affordability and central access to a variety of California’s best attractions and landmarks. Hikers will find themselves within a 2-3 hours distance of some of the best state and national parks, including Yosemite and Sequoia in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Skiers will delight in being closely distanced to world-class resorts at Mammoth Mountain, Mountain High, and Big Bear. Beachgoers can find plenty of sand, sun, and sunsets at both Southern and Central California beaches like Ventura, Huntington, Santa Monica, and Pismo. The area also offers plenty of rural area for off-roading and horseback riding enthusiasts.
- Relocation eligible to local area – Mojave, CA
- 9/80 schedule
- Healthcare (medical, dental, vision, prescription drugs)
- Paid Maternity and Parental Leave
- 50% company match per contributed dollar into 401(k) savings plan, up to the IRS annual limit
- Tuition reimbursement
Not much for the outdoors and prefer the city life? You’re within a half day’s drive or less of Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas, and San Francisco where you can find a variety of live entertainment, museums, tours, and historical sight-seeing. Theme parks are in abundance, with Six Flags Magic Mountain, Disneyland, and Knotts Berry Farm ready to meet the needs of rollercoaster thrill seekers.
Food and drink fanatics are in a haven of delectable choices. Wine aficionados will also find easy access to some of the state’s best vino in Paso Robles, Santa Ynez, and even more locally in Tehachapi and Agua Dulce. Beer fanatics will find some of the best West Coast IPAs at Bravery and Lucky Luke’s in Lancaster. Any food option you crave is covered, and we always recommend the authentic and fresh Mexican food that you won’t find anywhere else in the United States.
Applicants must be a US citizen or Green Card holder to be considered for this role.
Stratolaunch is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at our company. We encourage people from all walks of life to apply, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Our management team does not tolerate discrimination or harassment at any point during our employees’ and applicants’ time with us, especially with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities, and general treatment during employment.Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law:
Job Category: Engineering