Iridium is an award-winning and innovative satellite communications company with bragging rights to the only network that offers voice and data connectivity anywhere in the world. For over 20 years, Iridium’s unique network and services have supported critical communications needs for individuals, businesses, and the evolving Internet of Things.
At Iridium, we understand the importance of staying connected and the limitations of traditional communications networks. People across the globe, including first responders, humanitarians, global militaries, scientific researchers, and lone workers, as well as ships, aircraft and remote operations all rely on Iridium to stay connected. We take our responsibility for providing these essential communications very seriously and pride ourselves on offering a reliable lifeline when needed. Likewise, Iridium is committed to providing an exciting and innovative workplace, where employees are challenged to think outside the box and collaborate on new, bold ideas and solutions. Our talented teams are passionate about their work and the impact our company makes around the world. Iridium fosters an empowering and inclusive culture that allows employees to genuinely be their best selves. We are looking for others who want to join this truly unique company that celebrates our employees and provides the opportunity to truly make a difference in the world.
As the Associate Director you are responsible for working with the Executive Director to support a program and a project portfolio of high impact and multi-million-dollar value to the company. The program supported by these projects is critical to the future of the Iridium business, our value-added partners and to our end customers and serves as the delivery mechanisms for services to Iridium’s largest customer requiring customer focus and vision. The projects are primarily development projects that often are in support of large, complex and high-profile technology programs focused on end-to-end system solutions, new product development, or network elements within the Iridium architecture. This position operates in a fast-paced environment and must provide clear leadership, coordination, technical oversight, and management of the project to deliver successful solutions and navigate interdependencies in a matrixed. The person successful in this role needs to have both broad and deep knowledge of project management fundamentals (e.g. business case, RTG, risk management, schedule management, and negotiation).
Duties And Responsibilities
- Work with senior management to establish strategic plans and objectives, including managing delivery of high-quality results and complex solutions, and providing ideas and suggestions for continuous improvement cross-functionally
- Inform and maintain the Program roadmap based on Iridium’s products and services roadmap, as well as Iridium’s infrastructure sustainment plans
- Manage the coordination and delivery of multiple or complex assignments designed with end goals in mind, within identified timeline and budget
- Coordinate the portfolio of projects within the program for cohesive execution
- Ensure that projects meet financial performance targets as established in project pipeline budgets and estimates to complete.
- Ensure that projects deliver quality results, activities are well-designed, and funds are expended to meet overall project objectives, contract deliverables, and indicator targets.
- Serve as sounding board on strategic project decisions and provides thought leadership in program design and delivery.
- Manage the requirements and planning basis in a methodical and organized manner, including use of configuration management practices (CM)
- Ensure traceability, accountability, and consistency across the program and portfolio projects
- Ensure quality and consistency across program reporting to customers and to internal stakeholders
- Supervise proposal development and execution for future contracts and amendments\Provide clear briefings to senior leadership, managing significant risks and issue resolution
- Manage significant risks and issue resolution independently, and evaluate the results for lessons learned
- Confidently present complex results, implications, and options
- Demonstrated ability to speak persuasively to influence through debate, persuasion, or by authoritative recognition with those internal/external to team
- Manage cross-functional issues where analysis of situations or data requires an evaluation of intangibles
- Foster cross-functional team building to deliver complex projects/individual goals
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to build relationships with executive leadership
- Demonstrated ability to confidently recognize and adapt to different communication styles based on stakeholder style and preferences
- Bachelor’s degree required; Degree in engineering, mathematics, or science preferred.
- 12+ years related USG government development and/or operational program/project management experience, preferably in a large, global organization
- 7+ years’ experience in management of complex technical projects, preferably direct experience in telecommunications, ground networks, electronic product development/manufacturing or satellites.
- 3+ years of experience leading a team of project managers supervisory experience overseeing large scale projects, teams, and preferably project managers.
- Project Management Accreditation (APMP, PMI or equivalent) preferred.
- Experience collaborating globally across timelines and cultures
- Strong familiarity with tools and software applications that support project management and project portfolio management
Iridium is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or status as a protected veteran. EOE of Minorities/Females/Vets/Disability and other protected categories.