AST SpaceMobile and our global partners are building the first and only space-based cellular broadband network to be accessible by standard smartphones. Called SpaceMobile, this ultra-powerful network is being designed to provide connectivity at 4G/5G speeds everywhere on the planet – on land, at sea and in flight.Summary:
The Senior Engineer (Power) is responsible for working with satellite power subsystem non-recurring and recurring/sustaining efforts and activities including systems engineering/design of power system and elements as well as delivery of the system to spacecraft integration & testing.Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the design and development of state-of-the art electrical power system for space-based applications.
- Supervise vendor development and production of electrical power system components, including power management and distribution (PMAD) units, batteries, and solar panels.
- Plan and execute component and subsystem level functional and performance testing of engineering units and flight units.
- Design spacecraft bonding and grounding consistent with industry-standard requirements
- Characterize battery lifetime based on testing and models, taking into consideration discharge rates, charge rates, and temperatures.
- Execute the design, analysis, or evaluation of assigned projects using sound engineering principles and adhering to business standards, practices, procedures, and program requirements.
- Perform power system trade studies to determine optimal power system architecture.
- Evaluate and champion new technology and methods.
- Develop and maintain electrical power system design documentation including models, drawings, drawing trees, bill of materials, analysis reports, etc. using standard software tools and methods.
- Prepare and present necessary information required to conduct thorough design and readiness reviews with management and/or peers
- Troubleshoot and investigate component anomalies and failures, perform root-cause analysis, and provide resolution.
- Develop test plans and procedures, identify hardware needs, design of test set-ups.
- Communicate with manufacturing/production to ensure successful transfer of information and efficient processes are understood and documented.
- Technical support for production and test of space-qualified electrical power system and the associated hardware.
- Minimum 7 years of hands-on experience in electrical power system design and analysis of spacecraft and/or other complicated electrical power systems consisting of multiple power sources (such as solar array and battery).
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Aerospace Engineering, or related technical field.
- Familiarity with industry standard software for EPS/circuit design/simulation software.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multidisciplinary team with other engineers.
- Ability to work flexibly and adaptively in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Excellent English written and verbal communication skills.
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident Card Holder
AST SpaceMobile is an Equal Opportunity, at will Employer; employment is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.