The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) is a multi-mission science operations center for NASA’s flagship observatories – the Hubble Space Telescope, James Webb Space Telescope, and planned Nancy Grace Roman Space Telescope. Our world-class astronomical operations and research center is based on the Johns Hopkins University Homewood campus in Baltimore, Maryland (Click here to learn more about our missions).This position can support hybrid work. Candidates must reside in or be willing to relocate to our local market (MD, DE, VA, PA, DC & WV).
U.S. citizen or permanent resident is for ITAR
The Data Management Division is hiring a Staff Astronomical Data Scientist II who will focus on cloud based (AWS) Science Platforms for some of the most scientifically influential space missions in history. You will be joining a group dedicated to developing cutting-edge Science Platforms using commercial cloud resources (AWS) used in data processing pipelines and the wider astronomy community.The Staff Astronomical Data Scientist II Role
You will identify, document and prioritize product work items and ensure features delivered align with specifications. You will work with other groups at STScI, NASA, and the astronomical community. You will create user documentation and tutorials on the Science Platform products.Responsibilities include:
You will contribute to ongoing development, maintenance and support for our Science Platforms by:
- Serving as a Product Owner for an agile scrum team
- Translating the science needs and mission requirements into specifications for the Science Platforms
- Working directly with software developers in an agile environment
- Serving as an “alpha tester” of the Science Platforms
- Engaging and promoting the Science Platforms through community outreach through talks, conferences and meetings
You will also play major role in guiding future development by:
- Providing long term strategic vision and guidance in the development of Science Platforms to meet the needs of the astronomical community
- Maintaining close ties with the astronomical community and the open-source (Python) scientific software development community to enhance and enable all the above
Bachelor’s degree in Astronomy or Physics or a comparable degree. An advanced degree in Astronomy, Physics, or a related field is preferred, with 3+ years of experience in an astronomical research role or as an observatory scientist supporting astronomical research
Desirable but not mandatory:
- Education or professional background in astronomy, or software development in a research environment is helpful
- Experience as Product Owner and/or leading a team of software developers
- Effective managing product backlogs including user story creation and refinement as well as backlog grooming and prioritization
- Experience (minimum of three years or equivalent knowledge level) in astronomical spectroscopic and/or imaging data and data analysis tools
- Effective communication skills including, the ability to:
- Describe astronomical Science Platforms to a broad science community and collect feedback from that community
- Describe astronomical Science Platforms and their desired features to non-scientist technical staff
- Skills in maintaining effective working relationships with other scientific, technical, engineering and administrative staff
- This position requires US Citizenship or Permanent Residence to meet ITAR requirements
Substitution of additional relevant education and/or experience for stated qualifications may be considered.
- Experience in Python programming, including the use of common Python-based astronomy packages
- Experience working in a commercial cloud computing environment
- Experience working with and contributing to open-source scientific software
- Experience developing or operating a scientific data processing workflow
- Experience working with Jupyter Hub and Jupyter Notebooks
- Experience with Linux
Compensation is commensurate with education and experience. Our excellent benefits include:
- Employer retirement contribution – direct STScI contribution of 10% of your salary from your first day
- 12 days sick leave, up to 24 days’ vacation, and 10 paid holidays
- Comprehensive medical/dental/vision/prescription plans, and more!
Please upload a resume, cover letter and online application.
Applications received by Friday June 16, 2023,
will receive full consideration. Announcement will remain open until position has been filled.COVID-19 Working Protocols: https://outerspace.stsci.edu/display/CWP
STScI offers a flexible and welcoming workspace for all.
STScI embraces the diversity of our staff as a strategic priority in creating a first-rate community. We strongly encourage women, ethnic minorities, veterans, and disabled individuals to apply for these opportunities. Veterans, disabled individuals, or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process can contact us at email@example.com EOE/AA/M/F/D/V.
As a leader in the astronomical community, AURA is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity throughout the workforce www.aura-astronomy.org/diversity.asp
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA and all of the centers do not discriminate based on race, sex, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state, and local equal opportunity laws. The statements below, as well as the requests for self-identification, are required under these regulations. We encourage your participation in meeting these federal reporting requirements for protection and assisting us in our record-keeping and reporting. Your responses are kept strictly confidential.