Malin Space Science Systems (MSSS) is a private technology company that designs, develops and operates space camera systems. We are currently seeking a Sr. Digital Electronics Engineer to design and verify FPGA logic for cameras, digital image/video processing and storage systems, and electronic ground support equipment for interplanetary orbiters, landers, and rovers and earth-orbiting space systems. The design team may also include the Lead Designer/Systems Engineer, Mechanical/Thermal Engineer, Software Engineer, and Electronics Hardware Design Engineer. Essential Functions
- Designs and verifies FPGA logic for communications, memory interface, timing, and image processing peripherals, written in VHSIC Hardware Description Language (VHDL).
- Writes and executes test plans for requirements verification using simulation, bench testing, and thermal.
- Writes test benches and Bus Functional Models (BFMs) in VHDL.
- Integrates vendor-supplied VHDL and Verilog component models into test benches.
- Uses ModelSim simulation software to debug and verify module-level and top-level designs against internal and customer requirements.
- Uses code coverage features to evaluate simulation coverage and drive improvements to test benches and test cases.
- Designs and analyzes internal and external digital interfaces. Writes formal timing specifications for box-to-box digital interfaces.
- Writes implementation constraints for pin locations, I/O configuration, and timing.
- Completes logic builds (synthesis, mapping, placement, and routing) using FPGA vendor tools (Xilinx ISE, Xilinx EDK, MicroSemi Libero/SoC) and optimizes designs for timing, power, and area constraints.
- Produces power estimates for all digital loads in the system (i.e. FPGA, memory, image sensors, interface components) and determines power system requirements.
- Performs worst-case timing analysis for all digital interfaces (internal and external).
- Develops FPGA logic architecture, evaluating need for embedded soft processor(s) and appropriately partitioning software vs. logic functions, where applicable.
- Writes reports and presentations for design, validation, and analyses.
- Presents and defends all aspects of design and analysis at internal peer reviews, and customer reviews.
- Performs other duties as required or requested which may become essential to this position.
- 5 years minimum of relevant experience
- Required Bachelor’s Degree
- Fluency with Python scripting, especially pandas and TkInter.
- Embedded systems experience with ANSI C fluency.
- Experience with communications protocols such as I2C, SPI, RS-422, Ethernet, and SpaceWire.
- Familiarity with source code version control systems and best practices (such as Mercurial, Subversion, or git)
- Experience with Opal Kelly USB integration modules.
Physical Requirements Must be able to remain in a stationary position operating a computer for prolonged periods of time, while handling multiple priorities simultaneously . Must be able to communicate clearly with a variety of people on a daily basis. Occasionally moves about the office to access office machinery, etc. Possess mental acuity at a level which will facilitate execution of complex technical/engineering instructions. Ability to handle high stress levels in connection with multiple conflicting priorities and deadlines. High tolerance for ambiguity and shifting expectations. Strong analytical and organizational skills with the ability to prioritize workload. Disclaimer The employee must be able to perform the essential functions of the position satisfactorily and, if requested, reasonable accommodations will be made to enable employees with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their job, absent undue hardship. The Employer retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
MSSS is an EEO/AA/Disability/Vets Employer
This is a non-management position
This is a full time position
Pay Range: $130-160k