Malin Space Science Systems (MSSS) is a private technology company that designs, develops and operates space camera systems. MSSS operates CTX, MARCI, MSL and JUNO cameras from its facility in San Diego, CA. We are currently seeking an Orbital Science Operations Specialist to become a part of our innovative team. Under the general direction of the Science Group Manager/Sr. Staff Scientist, the Orbital Science Operations Specialist for the MRO CTX and MARCI cameras, will use in-house software to command and examine Mars images from our CTX and MARCI cameras operating on the MRO orbiter and to target new events using a database of defined plans. Knowledge and experience in geology/geography of Mars is advantageous for this position, and previous involvement in geoscience work is beneficial. Essential Functions
- Responsible for imaging the surface of Mars using the Context Camera (CTX) onboard Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO), and selecting targets primarily from the existing database. A major part of the targeting process is to examine previous images of Mars.
- Assists with PDS archiving deliverables.
- Assists in generating maps, specific research projects and performing data analysis as requested and directed.
- Tasks include planning, commanding, retrieving, processing, logging, and archiving of Mars images.
- Responsibly of this position will also include monitoring the health and safety of our flight instruments on MRO orbiter.
- Documents work thoroughly.
- Supports maintenance of shell scripts (includes awk/sed,Python), which are used for targeting purposes.
- Expected to work closely with other members of the Science Group, while also being self-sufficient.
- Assists MSSS science personnel in scientific research, as requested and directed.
- Performs other duties as required or requested which may become essential to this position.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Geoscience, Planetary Science, Physics or Astronomy required.
- Knowledge and experience in geology/geography of Mars and previous involvement in geoscience work is beneficial.
- Requires strong UNIX skills.
- Must possess strong communication skills, both written and oral.
- Must have high attention to detail, ability to multi-task, and meet demanding weekly deadlines.
- Must have good organizational skills.
- Programming experience (shell scripting, C/C++)
- Ability to understand remote sensing data
- Experience with DEM generation, 3D models, and experience with DEM software
- Knowledge and experience with statistical methods of data analysis
- Experience using command line mapping and image processing packages (ISIS, IDL, GDAL, GMT, ImageMagick)
Physical Requirement Must be able to remain in a stationary position operating a computer for prolonged periods of time, while handling multiple priorities simultaneously . Ability to handle stressful deadlines and ambiguity while maintaining focus. Occasionally moves about the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc. Requires using near and mid-range vision. Manual dexterity for keyboarding. Must be able to communicate clearly with a variety of people on a daily basis. Ability to analyze and interpret scientific data. Strong analytical and organizational skills with the ability to prioritize workload. Disclaimer The employee must be able to perform the essential functions of the position satisfactorily and, if requested, reasonable accommodations will be made to enable employees with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their job, absent undue hardship. The Employer retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
MSSS is an EEO/AA/Disability/Vets Employer
This is a non-management position
This is a full time position
Pay Range: $69-72k