ABOUT FIREFLY AEROSPACE
Firefly Aerospace Inc. ("Firefly") is an American end-to-end space transportation company committed to providing economical and convenient access to space for small payloads through the design, manufacture, and operations of reliable launch and spacecraft vehicles. Firefly’s launch vehicles utilize common technologies, manufacturing infrastructure, and launch capabilities, providing LEO launch solutions for up to ten metric tons of payload. Combined with Firefly’s in-space vehicles, such as the Space Utility Vehicle (SUV) and Blue Ghost Lunar Lander, Firefly provides the space industry with a single source for missions from LEO to the surface of the Moon or beyond. This role is located at our Rocket manufacturing factilty in Briggs, TX, just north of Cedar Park.
We are looking for an experienced engineer to join our growing team of materials experts. You will work with our team and external customers to develop, coordinate and execute all material investigation, testing and inspection programs. This will include leading all material testing activities, identifying new testing procedures and leading development of new inspection processes. The ideal candidate is someone who has a passion for our mission, enjoys working in a dynamic, collaborative environment and loves a challenge!
- Design, lead and perform related material testing and evaluation, such as microscopy, failure analysis, spectroscopy, mechanical testing, thermal analysis, and corrosion testing.
- Provide technical support and guidance on all inspection technologies (non-destructive and destructive).
- Provide technical support for manufacturing and design teams in the areas of material and processing selection and optimization, qualification, and inspection that impact product quality, reliability, durability, and capability.
- Write internal reports and technical papers based on testing and research as required.
- Represent Firefly on various industry task groups related to material testing and investigation (ASTM, Nadcap, etc.).
- Develop and own material and process specifications in alignment with requirements, capability, and quality needs
- B.S or higher in Materials Science, Metallurgical, Mechanical or Chemical Engineer. Candidates with other B.S degrees will be considered based on relevant materials testing or inspection experience.
- Two or more years of experience performing material testing, including mechanical, chemical, thermal, or component testing.
- Experience in at least one material or testing discipline (Metallic, Non-Metallic, Thermal, Chemical, NDE/NDT, Field Investigation)
- Ability to travel to customers and other Firefly sites up to 25% of the time.
- Masters Degree or higher.
- Previous experience working in a material testing or inspection laboratory.
- Experience with at least one non-destructive inspection modality (RT, Ultrasonic, shearography, thermography, etc)
- Experience with setting up Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS) or similar databases
- Experience executing a multi-faceted test program, such as material allowables, component qualification, failure investigation.
Firefly offers outstanding benefits for our employees, including generous health, dental and vision plans with low plan deductibles, parental leave, educational reimbursement, short term disability, and flexible PTO options.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Firefly Aerospace, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Firefly is governed based on merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.