Our long-term client relationship with Jacobs has led to a need for an Orion GN&C Simulation Engineer on the JSC Engineering, Technology, and Science (JETS) contract at Johnson Space Center (Houston, TX).
Building on more than four decades of experience in providing innovative integration solutions for government and commercial space programs, Barrios offers an extensive range of engineering, software, and related technology integration services in support of the aerospace community. As a woman-owned and operated small business, we are a people-focused company that supports professional development, while working to ensure that you maintain a healthy work-life balance.
Barrios employees actively participate in the growth of the commercial spaceflight industry through our partnerships with companies leading commercial space development, as well as successfully supporting NASA as our primary government customer. Our long history supporting Low Earth Orbit (LEO) on the International Space Station, and now Commercial LEO, lays the groundwork for future missions to the Moon through our work on Orion, Gateway, and the Space Launch System.The Orion GN&C Simulation Engineer Will
- Work with the JETS engineers and the NASA customer to develop 6-DOF Guidance, Navigation, and Control (GN&C) simulations in support of various NASA programs including the Orion and Gateway Programs. These simulation tools are being developed to assist in the design, development, and oversight of the respective GN&C FSW including ascent, ascent/abort, entry/descent/landing, orbit, and rendezvous proximity operations & docking (RPOD) mission scenarios.
- Perform simulation model development and validation (for support of GN&C algorithm development and the other analyses).
- Perform simulation scenario development and maintenance.
- Conduct data analysis and data preparation and presentation of results.
- Provide on-site support of pilot-in-the-loop work and studies.
- Support the GN&C algorithm developers in setting up simulations and debugging.
- Support EDGE graphics (model development and integration with Ramtares simulation).
- Directly interact with the NASA customers, along with various NASA support contractors, during technical meetings and working groups.
- Perform other duties as required.
This position is posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate’s experience, position requirements and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.Required Education/Experience/Skills
- BS degree in an engineering, computer or system science discipline from an accredited college or university and five (5) years of progressive, relevant experience, or an MS degree in an engineering, computer or system science and four (4) years of progressive experience, or Ph.D. degree in an engineering, computer of system science discipline.
- BS degree in an engineering, computer or system science discipline from an accredited college or university and eight (8) years of progressive, relevant experience, or and MS degree in an engineering, computer or system science discipline and seven (7) years of progressive experience, or a Ph.D. degree in an engineering, computer or system science discipline and two (2) years or progressive experience.
- BS degree in an engineering, computer or system science discipline from an accredited college or university and ten (10) years of progressive, relevant experience, or an MS degree in an engineering, computer or system science discipline and eight (8) years of progressive experience, or a Ph.D. degree in an engineering, computer or system science discipline and four (4) years of progressive experience. Requires demonstrated technical expertise in engineering systems design and analysis.
- BS degree in an engineering, computer or system science discipline from an accredited college or university and fourteen (14) years of progressive, relevant experience, or an MS degree in an engineering, computer or system science discipline and twelve (12) years of progressive experience, or a Ph.D. degree in an engineering, computer or system discipline and seven (7) years of progressive experience. Requires demonstrated technical expertise in engineering systems design and analysis.
- BS degree in engineering from an accredited engineering school and a minimum of fifteen (15) years of direct engineering experience or MS degree from an accredited engineering school and thirteen (13) years of direct engineering experience or Ph.D. degree and nine (9) years of direct engineering experience. Membership (or equivalent recognition) to an external technical society, committee/board. Recognized expert in areas of responsibility. Requires demonstrated leadership skills and the ability to effectively communicate with others.
- Experience developing GN&C based simulation models
- Ability to code (Cpp, Python, Simulink) and implement simulation architecture updates
- Experience with Linux, C/C++ and Python
- General GN&C knowledge to debug model (sensor, dynamics, etc) and FSW performance
- Simulation data analysis (take simulation data from a set of analysis runs and develop/present informative deliverable)
- Ability to learn and work independently
- Excellent communication and documentation skills and the ability to work in a team environment consisting of NASA civil servants and various contractor employees
- MS in Aerospace Engineering
- Basic understanding of spacecraft dynamics and operations (RPOD) experience
- Experience with version control systems such as Git
- EDGE graphics model development (CAD, Blender, etc)
- EDGE simulation interface development (edge keys, relative nav overlays, etc)
- Experience with TRICK/JEOD simulation architecture
- Expertise with the Ramtares and Antares simulation environments
- Knowledge of MATLAB and Simulink/Stateflow toolboxes
- Must be a U.S. Citizen and successfully complete a U.S. government background investigation.
- Post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol as outlined in our Drug Free Workplace policy.
- Applicant selected may be subject to government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
- Work may involve sitting for extended periods.
- May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lb.
- Must have sufficient mobility to enter areas of test facilities where necessary.
- Generally an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on task.
- Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, fax, etc.)
- Regular attendance in accordance with established work schedule is critical.
- Ability to work outside normal schedule and adjust schedule to meet peak periods and surge requirements when required.
- Must be able to work in a team atmosphere.
- Must put forward a professional behavior that enhances productivity and promotes teamwork and cooperation.
- Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others.
- This position may require some commuting and traveling to other installations as needed.
Don’t miss out on this great opportunity; for immediate consideration, apply now!
Barrios Technology is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in several states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
Barrios Technology is an Equal Employment Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, veteran status, genetic information, union status and/or beliefs, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
Job ID: 2022-2028
External Company URL: http://www.barrios.com/