Job Purpose And Primary Objectives
The Production Technician works with our teams to inspect, clean, and assemble mechanical and electrical hardware, maintain facilities, and test equipment to meet compliance requirements.
As part of the operations organization at Benchmark, this role works closely with the production and engineering teams.
This role is an on-site role in our Burlington, VT location.About Benchmark
Benchmark Space Systems is a leader in small satellite propulsion systems and in-space mobility services. We are focused on providing the most cost-effective propulsion solution for our clients/partner's Small Satellite mission needs, from simple orbit adjustments to high-agility maneuvers. Our patented and proprietary innovations have been specifically designed to improve safety and capability for spacecraft ranging from 3U through ESPA class. Specifically, our mission is to improve our client's/partner's missions through collaborative partnership and creative in-space mobility product solutions that are responsive to the safety, reliability, and cost-of-performance requirements of fundamental or advanced SmallSat and Rideshare missions.Measurements Of Success/Primary Job Responsibilities
At its core, Benchmark is an entrepreneurial, fast paced organization. In this environment, we need all employees to problem solve, not be afraid to ask questions, and be able to work with and help colleagues in different departments and positions by digging in and working on other tasks as needed/assigned depending on business needs.
With that said, there are primary job responsibilities and measurements of success for this position, which are:
- Accurate inspection, cleaning and assembly of mechanical and electrical hardware, facilities, and test equipment to meet compliance requirements.
- Thorough inspection of components and hardware to verify tolerances and fit.
- Conduct acceptance testing on mechanical and electrical hardware to meet all necessary requirements.
- Maintain test documentation/logbooks, in a neat and organized manner.
- Maintain Company equipment to meet working standards as required by maintenance schedules.
- Maintain and/or create documentation during fault finding, maintenance, or upgrade activities.
- Work effectively on a team including engineers, technicians, and others as needed.
- Communicate any relevant findings of the assembly and test process to key stakeholders.
- Pump down, monitor, and be responsible for the operation of thermal cycling and vacuum chambers (including working with liquid nitrogen).
- Take direction and effectively balance multiple projects/workloads simultaneously.
- Conduct processes on customer deliverable and flight hardware.
- Maintains as-built records of assemblies.
- Construct test and assembly setups.
- Operate test stand equipment with limited direction.
- Maintain a clean work area and assist in general lab cleanliness activities.
- At all times, maintain Benchmark's outstanding reputation for operating at the highest levels of honesty, integrity, accountability, and transparency.
- Other responsibilities that may be needed from time to time to assist in business operations.
Education And/or Experience
- A passion for space technology and emerging ecosystems in and around current and future space activities.
- Be/become proficient in: Microsoft & Adobe Suite as well as possess the ability, agility, and can-do attitude to work in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, and matrixed cross-functional environment.
Specifically for this position, we require you have:
Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities
- 3-5 years of relevant experience.
- Ability to work on ITAR (export-restricted) technologies (US Persons and previously authorized applicants only. BSS cannot sponsor a new ITAR authorization application).
What you bring to the position, or have the ability to swiftly learn and be successful in:
What Makes You Stand Out
- Experience in hands-on fabrication and assembly in a relevant field.
- Ability to read and understand mechanical and electrical drawings, diagrams, schematics, and manuals.
- Ability to document work within an MRP system.
- Previous experience and/or certifications within the aerospace and defense industry.
- Experience working with propulsion systems.
- Component quality and dimensional inspection experience.
- Ability to operate thermal cycling chambers and vacuum chambers.
- Experience working in a clean room environment.
- Vacuum equipment experience.
- Current or ability to obtain IPC and J-STD soldering and/or inspection certification.
- Experience with soldering and building harnesses.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel).
- Inventory management and material handling experience.
- Strong organization, record-keeping, and written/verbal communication skills.
- Basic wet chemistry practices and safe handling of hazardous materials.
- Basic machining skills (drilling, milling, lathe, tapping, etc.).
- Experience with LabVIEW, Python, or other scripting languages.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions
- Health insurance (100% coverage for individuals, 80% for families).
- Vision and dental insurance.
- Company paid life, AD&D, and disability insurances.
- Voluntary life insurance.
- FSA (health and dependent care).
- Employee assistance program.
- 401(k) with employer match.
- Flexible schedule.
- Unlimited vacation.
While performing duties of this job, the employee is working predominantly in a production environment and must possess the ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds and work for long periods of time while standing.