Our long-term client relationship with Jacobs has led to a need for a Systems Engineer - Lunar Surface Exploration / Dust Mitigation & Control on the JSC Engineering, Technology, and Science (JETS) contract at Johnson Space Center (Houston, TX).
Building on more than four decades of experience in providing innovative integration solutions for government and commercial space programs, Barrios offers an extensive range of engineering, software, and related technology integration services in support of the aerospace community. As a woman-owned and operated small business, we are a people-focused company that supports professional development, while working to ensure that you maintain a healthy work-life balance.
Barrios employees actively participate in the growth of the commercial spaceflight industry through our partnerships with companies leading commercial space development, as well as successfully supporting NASA as our primary government customer. Our long history supporting Low Earth Orbit (LEO) on the International Space Station, and now Commercial LEO, lays the groundwork for future missions to the Moon through our work on Orion, Gateway, and the Space Launch System.
The Systems Engineer - Lunar Surface Exploration / Dust Mitigation & Control will:
* We are actively searching for qualified candidates for this potential opening, however we do not have assurance at this time if and when the position will be finalized and opened. Because we have strong reason to believe the position will be approved soon, we are proceeding with identifying qualified candidates and conducting interviews.
- Participate in a team environment for Artemis mission development and planning, working with NASA's Human Landing System Partners to develop plans and technology for the mitigation, control, and management of dust contamination for lunar surface exploration.
- Perform work that will include those systems and technologies needed to prevent dust accumulation on lunar surface EVA tools and suits, as well as dust removal and control to prevent dust in the crew cabin volumes.
- Contribute to mission planning with dust mitigation and control in mind.
- Work in partnership with JSC lab facilities to conduct ground-based testing of dust mitigation and control methods and technologies using lunar simulant and simulated space environment, development space suits, and development lunar surface tools.
- Perform and review system level architecture trade studies and analyses that will influence the overall system design and performance.
- Work with team members to identify risks, develop risk statements and responses.
- Work with team members in the development of system requirements.
- Work in a team environment and report to the team lead to provide status on progress and issues and for support.
- Maintain a professional relationship with the NASA customer and other NASA support contractors.
- Perform other duties as required.
- BS Degree in Engineering from an accredited Engineering school, plus two (2) years of experience in the field or in a related area.
- OR -
- BS Degree in Engineering from an accredited Engineering school, plus five (5) years of related experience.
- OR -
- BS Degree in Engineering from an accredited Engineering school, may be expected to have a related Master's degree, plus ten (10) years of related experience.
- OR -
- BS degree in Engineering from an accredited Engineering school, may be expected to have a related Master's degree or higher, plus fifteen (15) years of related experience.
- Experience with requirements development, design trades, development of Concept of Operations, risk analysis, and system analysis of space hardware.
- Prior experience working in a lab environment with development test & evaluation for engineering hardware.
- Basic knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures in the space hardware field, such as mechanical and electrical system design, engineering drawings and sketches, and material selection.
- Knowledge of systems engineering principles and associated documentation.
- Ability to prepare written documents and to verbally present at various meetings.
- Must be able to organize and prioritize tasks in order to meet deadlines and schedules with limited supervision.
- Experience working in a team environment.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office products.
- Familiarity with NASA/JSC engineering processes.
- Familiarity with NASA EVA suits and procedures.
- Familiarity with dust control and mitigation technologies.
- Familiarity with NASA/JSC mission planning products.
- Prior systems engineering & integration experience roles in early program phases.
- Familiarity with NASA/JSC documentation databases and share point sites as well as typical systems engineering products.
- INCOSE Systems Engineering Professional certification.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen and successfully complete a U.S. government background investigation.
- Post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol as outlined in our Drug Free Workplace policy.
- Applicant selected may be subject to government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
- Work may involve sitting for extended periods.
- May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lb.
- Must have sufficient mobility to enter areas of test facilities where necessary.
- Generally an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on task.
- Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, fax, etc.)
- Regular attendance in accordance with established work schedule is critical.
- Ability to work outside normal schedule and adjust schedule to meet peak periods and surge requirements when required.
- Must be able to work in a team atmosphere.
- Must put forward a professional behavior that enhances productivity and promotes teamwork and cooperation.
- Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others.
- This position may require some commuting and traveling to other installations as needed.
Don’t miss out on this great opportunity; for immediate consideration, apply now!
Barrios Technology is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in several states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
Barrios Technology is an Equal Employment Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, veteran status, genetic information, union status and/or beliefs, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
Job ID: 2022-2232
External Company URL: http://www.barrios.com/