Our long-term client relationship with KBR has led to a need for an Operations Safety Integrator on the Integrated Mission Operations Contract II (IMOC II) contract at Johnson Space Center (Houston, TX).
We are looking for an experienced engineer to serve as a member of Flight Operations Directorate (FOD) Operations Safety Branch, with responsibility for providing leadership and official representation of FOD to the International Space Station Program (ISSP), Exploration, Commercial Crew, Gateway (the space station in lunar orbit where astronauts will transfer between Orion and the lander on regular Artemis missions), and Human Landing System (HLS) Safety programs (supporting final mode of transportation that will take astronauts from lunar orbit to the surface and back to orbit). The candidate will provide safety support to the NASA Chief of Flight Operations Safety Office.
Building on more than four decades of experience in providing innovative integration solutions for government and commercial space programs, Barrios offers an extensive range of engineering, software, and related technology integration services in support of the aerospace community. As a woman-owned and operated small business, we are a people-focused company that supports professional development, while working to ensure that you maintain a healthy work-life balance.
Barrios employees actively participate in the growth of the commercial spaceflight industry through our partnerships with companies leading commercial space development, as well as successfully supporting NASA as our primary government customer. Our long history supporting Low Earth Orbit (LEO) on the International Space Station, and now Commercial LEO, lays the groundwork for future missions to the Moon through our work on Orion, Gateway, and the Space Launch System.The Operations Safety Integrator Will
- Represent the Flight Operations Directorate (FOD) as a consultant for operations safety to the International Space Station Program (ISSP), Exploration, and Commercial Crew safety panels/working groups.
- Perform research and analyses of hardware and software data to identify possible safety inconsistencies and enforce changes consistent with program requirements.
- Serve as an authority and consultant for the operational controls process for safety hazards.
- Advocate appropriate monitoring and verifications of hazard controls.
- Provide expert advice associated with the operational management of risk to FOD management and flight control teams.
- Integrate with the appropriate technical support across the operations community.
- Support FOD internal activities related to flight safety (Flight Readiness Reviews (FRRs), etc.).
- Solicit inputs from across the Directorate on issues related to safety; and facilitating resolution of these concerns with the appropriate portions of the Safety community.
- Perform other duties as required.
This position is posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate’s experience, position requirements and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.Required Education/Experience/Skills
- BS Degree in Engineering, Physics, or Math from an accredited engineering school, college or university.
- OR -
- BS Degree in Engineering, Physics, or Math from an accredited engineering school, college or university, plus five (5) years of experience.
- Knowledge of engineering principles and the ability to apply them to real-time operation.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), interpersonal, leadership, teamwork, technical, and administrative skills are mandatory.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, lead, and coordinate a wide range of tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to progress through flight controller and instructor certifications.
- Able to apply technical knowledge and operations concepts to exercise effective decision making and initiative in a real-time and fast-paced operational environment.
- Demonstrated self-starter who excels in a dynamic environment that requires him/her to work effectively both alone or as part of a team.
- Shift work (nights, weekends, and holidays) is required.
- Candidate must be able to support infrequent travel domestically or internationally.
- Demonstrated performance in leadership roles, delivering win-win solutions, and understanding when to hold firm while considering all viewpoints is required.
- Must have excellent integration skills.
- Attention to detail is required along with the ability to work/negotiate with multiple customers across NASA, ISS International Partners, and commercial providers daily.
- Strong leadership skills are required.
- Preferred degrees in Aerospace, Aeronautical, Astronautical Engineering, or Safety Engineering.
- Preferred background in Safety.
- Russian, Japanese, or European language skills are a plus.
- A working knowledge of NASA flight operations, safety requirements, engineering, and physics, the FOD organization, and ISS Program knowledge is highly desired.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen and successfully complete a U.S. government background investigation.
- Post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol as outlined in our Drug Free Workplace policy.
- Applicant selected may be subject to government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
- Work may involve sitting for extended periods.
- May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lb.
- Must have sufficient mobility to enter areas of test facilities where necessary.
- Generally an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on task.
- Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, fax, etc.)
- Regular attendance in accordance with established work schedule is critical.
- Ability to work outside normal schedule and adjust schedule to meet peak periods and surge requirements when required.
- Must be able to work in a team atmosphere.
- Must put forward a professional behavior that enhances productivity and promotes teamwork and cooperation.
- Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others.
- This position may require some commuting and traveling to other installations as needed.
Don’t miss out on this great opportunity; for immediate consideration, apply now!
Barrios Technology is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in several states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
Barrios Technology is an Equal Employment Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, veteran status, genetic information, union status and/or beliefs, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
Job ID: 2023-2318
External Company URL: http://www.barrios.com/