Astrobotic Technology, Inc. is a space robotics company that seeks to make space accessible to the world. The company’s suite of lunar landers delivers payloads to the Moon for companies, governments, universities, non-profits, and individuals. The company is also developing advanced space robotics capabilities such as terrain relative navigation, mobile robotics for lunar surface operations, and reliable computing systems for mission-critical applications. Originally spun out of Carnegie Mellon University in 2007, Astrobotic is pioneering affordable planetary access that promises to spark a new era of exploration, science, tourism, resource utilization, and mining. Astrobotic’s headquarters is in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, with a second location in Mojave, California.
Astrobotic’s Research and Development Group, Space Robotics, is seeking a Simulation Software Engineer to join our effort to develop solutions for space robotics, planetary landing, and satellite sensing applications. In this role, you will contribute to developing core infrastructure and simulation tools that enable Astrobotic’s autonomous technologies, including precision landing and hazard detection on the Moon. These tools’ core functions include analyzing and modeling planetary surfaces using orbital imagery and topographic data, quantifying system performance and robustness, and simulating mission scenarios that allow research and innovation into some of the most challenging environments for robotics.
Applicants should have a strong software development background along with general knowledge of robotics-related topics including computer vision, LiDAR processing, terrain mapping and modeling, perception, state estimation, or simulation.
- Design and development of computer vision and terrain mapping software for space robotics applications
- Creating improved terrain and lighting models from remote sensing data products for simulation and autonomous planetary navigation and mapping
- Software life cycle testing, verification and validation including field testing and performance assessment.
- Working closely with NASA experts, university groups, and commercial clients
- Contributing to novel research and research proposals
- Presenting results to clients and the research community
Required Skills & Qualifications
- Experience with C/C++, Python, and version control software in a Linux environment
- Experience with computer vision, LiDAR processing, nonlinear optimization , and related areas such as stereophotogrammetry or shape from shading
- Experience with software development, testing, and performance tuning
- Proficiency in communication and technical writing
- B.S., M.S., or Ph.D.in Computer Science, Aerospace, Physics, Robotics, or a related field
Desired Skills & Qualifications
- Experience with geographic information systems (GIS), map projections, and digital elevation models
- Experience with structure from motion, visual SLAM, nonlinear optimization, or sensor fusion
- Experience with machine learning and deep learning approaches for computer vision
- Experience with software unit testing
- Experience with robotics simulation environments
- Experience with writing research and/or commercial proposals
- CI/CD, Docker
Salary Range: $85,000 - $145,000
The base salary range represents the low and high end of the anticipated salary range for this position. The actual base salary offered for this position will depend on numerous factors including individual performance, business objectives, and the candidates professional experience. Base salary is just one component of Astrobotic’s competitive total rewards strategy.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.