AST SpaceMobile and our global partners are building the first and only space-based cellular broadband network to be accessible by standard smartphones. Called SpaceMobile, this ultra-powerful network is being designed to provide connectivity at 4G/5G speeds everywhere on the planet – on land, at sea and in flight.Summary:
The Electrical Power System Engineer is responsible for working with the satellite electrical energy storage system non-recurring, recurring, and sustaining efforts. This includes systems engineering, component design verification testing, supporting procurement, and spacecraft level assembly, integration, and testing.Duties and Responsibilities:
- Using knowledge of battery fundamentals perform the design and development of state-of-the art energy storage systems and battery assemblies for space-based applications.
- Supervise vendor development and production of sub-components.
- Plan and execute development, functional, performance, and life testing of units and assemblies.
- Strong understanding of the environments and factors that affect the life and performance of Li-Ion cells.
- Execute the design, analysis, and evaluation of battery projects using sound engineering principles and adhering to business standards, practices, procedures, and program requirements.
- Perform trade studies to determine optimal system architecture.
- Evaluate and champion new technology and methods.
- Develop and maintain system design documentation including models, drawings, drawing trees, bill of materials, analysis reports, etc. using standard software tools and methods.
- Prepare and present necessary information required to conduct thorough design and readiness reviews with management and/or peers
- Troubleshoot and investigate component anomalies and failures, perform root-cause analysis, and provide resolution.
- Develop test plans and procedures, identify hardware needs, design of test set-ups.
- Communicate with manufacturing/production to ensure successful transfer of information and efficient processes are understood and documented.
- Technical support for production and test of space-qualified electrical power system and the associated hardware.
- Minimum 3 years of hands-on experience in battery/energy storage system design and analysis for spacecraft and/or other complicated electrical power systems.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Aerospace Engineering, or related technical field.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multidisciplinary team with other engineers.
- Ability to work flexibly and adaptively in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Excellent English written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to travel to AST facilities to support meetings, testing, and integration.
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident Card Holder
AST SpaceMobile is an Equal Opportunity, at will Employer; employment is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.