AST SpaceMobile and our global partners are building the first and only space-based cellular broadband network to be accessible by standard smartphones. Called SpaceMobile, this ultra-powerful network is being designed to provide connectivity at 4G/5G speeds everywhere on the planet – on land, at sea and in flight.Summary:
The successful Design Engineer (Mechanisms) will be responsible for design and optimization of various space-flight mechanisms for the deployment of a satellite constellation. The Design Engineer will be a key contributor in non-recurring and recurring/sustaining efforts and activities for the mechanisms and related elements as well as delivery of the system to spacecraft integration & testing.
The successful candidate will be innovative, creative, and challenge the status quo. They will work well in teams while also having the ability to work assignments autonomously.Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in and execute design, analysis, and system trade studies to determine mechanism architecture for multi-satellite launch configuration in terms of the system simplicity, mass efficiency, launch vehicle accommodation efficiency, and production cost.
- Execute the design and evaluation of assigned projects using sound engineering principles and adhering to business standards, practices, procedures, and program requirements.
- Develop mechanisms and component technology, testing requirements, materials, processes, and tools, define mechanical interfaces with other subsystems.
- Develop and maintain mechanical design documentation at system and equipment level: mechanical requirement documents, interface control drawings, test procedures and tooling (vibration, shock, TVAC, assembly), manufacturing drawings.
- Prepare and present necessary information required to conduct thorough design and readiness reviews with management and/or peers.
- Troubleshoot and investigate anomalies and failures, perform root-cause analysis, and provide resolution.
- Communicate with manufacturing/production to ensure successful transfer of information and efficient processes are understood and documented.
- Evaluate and champion new technology and methods.
- 2 years of hands-on experience in mechanical design and analysis of mechanisms for spacecraft or launch vehicles.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering or related technical field.
- Strong technical skills in design of satellite mechanisms for launch and on-orbit environments and strong emphasis on design for manufacturability.
- CAD experience.
- Knowledge/experience in stress and dynamics for satellite assemblies in launch and orbital environments.
- Knowledge/experience of mechanism development and testing for space hardware.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multidisciplinary team with other engineers.
- Flexibility/adaptability in a fast-paced & dynamic environment.
- Excellent English written and verbal communication skills.
- U.S Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- FEA program experience
- Master's degree in mechanical engineering or related technical field.
AST SpaceMobile is an Equal Opportunity, at will Employer; employment is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.