Support NASA missions! The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) is a multi-mission science and operations center for NASA’s flagship observatories – JWST, HST and Roman - on the Johns Hopkins University Homewood campus in Baltimore, Maryland. Learn more about our missions.
The Commanding Certification Team (CMDCERT) is hiring a Systems Engineer I. The CMDCERT team is responsible for the development, testing and certification of the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) onboard software, the Operations Scripts Subsystem (OSS), that directs science and engineering operations of the lifecycle of the JWST Mission.
This position can support hybrid work. Candidates must reside in or be willing to relocate to our local market. (MD, DE, VA, PA, DC & WV).
- Support the integration of the JWST Ground Segment and the operation of the JWST Observatory
- Become knowledgeable in the operation of the JWST spacecraft and science instruments to support OSS
- Collaboration with the ground systems software engineers and the JWST flight operations team
- Software engineering, integration and testing to support JWST onboard software
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Systems or Software Engineering, or in a related field, with 3+ years’ experience, including:
- industry system engineering standards (e.g. standards from the NASA Systems Engineering Handbook, INCOSE frameworks, PMI standards) and best practices
- familiarity with Space Mission/Satellite ground systems and flight operations
- software engineering, spacecraft hardware, and/or operations experience
- working knowledge of hardware or software integration and test methodologies
- familiarity with test data development, generation, and selection
U.S. citizen or permanent resident for ITAR
Substitution of additional relevant education and/or experience for stated qualifications may be considered. Compensation is commensurate with education and experience.Our excellent benefits include:
- Employer retirement contribution – direct STScI contribution of 10% of your salary from your first day
- 12 days sick leave, up to 24 days’ vacation, and 10 paid holidays
- Comprehensive medical/dental/vision/prescription plans, and more!
TO APPLY: Please upload a resume, cover letter and online application. Applications received by Friday, June 2, 2023, will receive full consideration. The announcement will remain open until position has been filled.
Direct Link: Systems Engineer I - James Webb
COVID-19 Working Protocols: https://outerspace.stsci.edu/display/CWP
STScI offers a flexible and welcoming workspace for all. STScI embraces the diversity of our staff as a strategic priority in creating a first-rate community. We strongly encourage women, ethnic minorities, veterans, and disabled individuals to apply for these opportunities. Veterans, disabled individuals, or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process can contact us at email@example.com EOE/AA/M/F/D/V.
As a leader in the astronomical community, AURA is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity throughout the workforce www.aura-astronomy.org/diversity.asp
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA and all of the centers do not discriminate based on race, sex, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state, and local equal opportunity laws. The statements below, as well as the requests for self-identification, are required under these regulations. We encourage your participation in meeting these federal reporting requirements for protection and assisting us in our record-keeping and reporting. Your responses are kept strictly confidential.