Support NASA missions! The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) is a multi-mission science and flight operations center for NASA’s flagship observatories on the Johns Hopkins University Homewood campus in Baltimore, Maryland. Learn more about our missions.
STScI has an immediate opening for a Software Engineer II (#7541) in the SCOPE/Web Application Services Branch (WASABI). The WASABI Branch provides development and operational maintenance of applications and processes to support the James Webb (JWST), Hubble (HST), and Roman Space Telescopes. This team delivers high quality software to support the scientific community.
This position can support hybrid work. Candidates must reside in or be willing to relocate to our local market. (MD, DE, VA, PA, DC & WV).
- Full Stack Engineer for development and maintenance of systems, from requirements through architectural design to implementation.
- Partner with stakeholders to provide guidance on development capabilities, requirements gathering, milestone and timeline development.
- Participate in all team activities such as design discussions and reviews.
- A Bachelor’s degree in computer science, software engineering, and/or a related field is desired.
- 8+ years of related development experience, with at least 4+ years developing full stack applications and features.
- Experience with workflow management, and version control tools.
- Experience working with API-driven architecture or microservices.
- Familiarity with Groovy, Geb, Git, Gradle, Kubernetes, Spock, MS-SQL Server and container-based application deployment.
- Excellent communication skills.
Substitution of additional relevant education and/or experience for stated qualifications may be considered.
This role requires U.S. citizenship or permanent resident status.
Compensation is commensurate with education and experience.Our excellent benefits include:
- Employer retirement contribution – direct STScI contribution of 10% of your salary from your first day
- 12 days sick leave, up to 24 days’ vacation, and 10 paid holidays
- Comprehensive medical/dental/vision/prescription plans, and more!
TO APPLY: Please upload a resume, cover letter and online application using this link:
Apply Software Engineer II
Applications received by Friday, May 26, 2023, will receive full consideration. Announcement will remain open until position has been filled.
Explore all career opportunities at www.stsci.edu/opportunities
COVID-19 Working Protocols: https://outerspace.stsci.edu/display/CWP
STScI offers a flexible and welcoming workspace for all. STScI embraces the diversity of our staff as a strategic priority in creating a first-rate community. We strongly encourage women, ethnic minorities, veterans, and disabled individuals to apply for these opportunities. Veterans, disabled individuals, or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process can contact us at email@example.com EOE/AA/M/F/D/V.
As a leader in the astronomical community, AURA is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity throughout the workforce www.aura-astronomy.org/diversity.asp
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA and all of the centers do not discriminate based on race, sex, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state, and local equal opportunity laws. The statements below, as well as the requests for self-identification, are required under these regulations. We encourage your participation in meeting these federal reporting requirements for protection and assisting us in our record-keeping and reporting. Your responses are kept strictly confidential.