Your Mission at Virgin Galactic
The Ground Support Equipment Mechanic supports the commercial space operations department. The candidate must have a desire to learn something new and possess enthusiasm for the new space industry.
Required Skills And Experience
- Perform scheduled preventive maintenance on company owned/leased GSE, SGSE, and vehicle fleet
- Perform diagnostic procedures to determine needed repairs. Responsible for creation and timely execution of repair plans, ordering parts, and communicating all delays to supervisor
- Perform standard to complex mechanical and electric repairs on equipment
- Perform welding repairs with MIG welding, stick welding, or acetylene gas welding
- Perform daily preoperational inspection of gear to ensure serviceability and operational readiness. Charge or fuel as needed.
- Maintain a clean and well organized work area at all times, free of dirt, clutter, and debris. Both gear and workspace are to maintain a “show room” standard
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant experience as a vehicle technician
- Must have and be able to maintain a valid Driver’s License and a clean driving record that will pass the criteria set by our insurance carrier for on the job coverage
- Must have a strong systems mechanical background and show ability to learn and become proficient on new and/or customized equipment
- High school diploma or GED equivalent required; accredited technical training as well as a GSE/ASE certification is preferred.
- Good oral and written communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with all levels of management
- Displays sound judgment, with the ability to make accurate and timely decisions
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally to support operational needs
- Must possess strong motivational, organizational, interpersonal and computer skills.
- Sound ability to interpret printed or electronic maintenance manuals
- Ability to adapt to paperless environment, using tablets to receive and record maintenance tasks via MRO (Maintenance, Repair, and Operations) software
- Ability and desire to work in a fast paced start-up environment
The annual U.S. base salary range for this full-time position is $49,920.00–$68,640.00. The base pay actually offered will vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, location, and experience and take into account internal equity. Other forms of pay (e.g., bonus or long term incentive) may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and other benefits, dependent on the position offered. For more information regarding Virgin Galactic benefits, please visit https://vgcareers.virgingalactic.com/global/en/benefitsWho We Are
Virgin Galactic is transforming humanity’s relationship with space. By making it more open and accessible, we are connecting the world to the love, wonder and awe inspired by space travel, helping to create new opportunities for the benefit of life on Earth. Whether it’s supporting cutting-edge research missions for scientists and students, or offering life-changing experiences for the adventurers among us, Virgin Galactic is THE spaceline for Earth. Such an audacious vision requires a team as driven as they are curious - one capable of redefining the boundaries of what’s possible.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR
- 120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Virgin Galactic is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Galactic is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
Virgin Galactic is committed to a Drug Free Workplace. All applicants post offer and active teammates are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies. This can include pre-employment, random, reasonable suspicion, and accident related drug and alcohol testing.