The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation’s space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space— delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you’ll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration – to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
The National Systems Group serves as the technical advisor to the Intelligence Community and its mission partners involved in the collection and distribution of national and tactical intelligence, including electronics programs, advanced technologies, ground and communications, imagery programs, and systems engineering and launch.
We are looking for a Senior Project Leader to support the National Reconnaissance Office’s (NRO) COMM Directorate, Network Services Group (NSG). NSG goals include modernizing and simplifying NRO networks including cyber, anticipating demand to scale networks to meet partner needs, and to improve global network resilience. This opportunity will be focused on advising and guiding teams in the implementation of network solutions and the evaluation of network architectures for the Network Services Group through meticulous data collection, data analysis and systems engineering methodologies.
This position requires 100% on site work in Chantilly, VA
What You’ll Be Doing
- Apply specific technical knowledge of network mapping, modeling, and data analysis to assist NSG in the deployment of commercial mapping tools and the evaluation of network models
- Analyze space optical transmission network models to identify availability risks due to cyber security vulnerabilities and other network architecture weaknesses
- Review available space and terrestrial network architectures, capabilities, and other data to identify technological innovations and features that can support NRO and IC network services
- Guide technical teams through required NRO and COMM systems engineering gates, and mticulous data collection and data analysis activities
- Lead technical exchange meetings with external asset owners and the COMM Cyber Security Office (CSO) to coordinate data collection strategies and then implement those strategies
- Generate and present reports of findings and recommendations to NSG, COMM, and senior leaders from other NRO offices
- Leverage the Aerospace "backplane" to collaborate across Group, Office, and Directorate boundaries to promote and ensure clean interfaces between internal and external customers
- Identify and lead matrixed Aerospace engineering staff and project teams for specified projects and studies; act as spokesperson for the team when presenting observations, results, and recommendations
What You Need to be Successful
- This position requires the ability to have and maintain a current and active TS/SSBI/SCI security clearance, which is issued by the U.S. government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance
- A bachelor's degree in engineering, science, mathematics, or a related technical field
- 12 or more years of relevant experience
- Experience providing engineering solutions, technical analysis and impact assessments, tradeoffs, and market research, preferably in enterprise IT service environments
- Experience developing technical roadmaps and architectures, preferably in enterprise IT service environments
- Experience managing projects throughout the systems engineering lifecycle
- Experience using and/or researching tools and platforms for developing enterprise architectures
- Experience in integrating enterprise-level program requirements, schedules, deliveries, and budget plans
How You Can Stand Out
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
- An advanced degree in engineering, science, mathematics, or a related technical field
- Direct experience or familiarization with COMM network technologies, VM, and Linux
- Direct experience developing IC or NRO mission, system, or technology architectures
- Knowledge of cyber principles and best practices
- Experience implementing Model Based Systems Engineering frameworks and solutions
- Certifications in Enterprise Architecture and/or Systems Engineering
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with customers, company leadership, and matrixed engineering staff
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, to include oral and written communication
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan — Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other—the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you’re an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also review Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.