The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation’s space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space— delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you’ll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration – to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
The Defense Systems Group (DSG) provides analysis-based decision support to senior leaders on space architectures, policy and strategy, developmental planning, system of systems engineering, and threat reduction to help shape future space missions across the national security space enterprise. DSG is unique at Aerospace as it not only directly supports major customers, including, the United States Space Force, the Department of the Air Force, the Missile Defense Agency, U.S. Space Command, U.S. Strategic Command, Air Force Materiel Command, and senior leadership at the Pentagon, but also provides a broad range of services and support across the national space enterprise, maintaining vertical responsibilities with customers but also horizontal, matrixed responsibilities across the corporation.
The Ground Systems Engineer in the Responsive Space Branch within the Space Innovation Directorate (SID) will support ground development and integration with a critical space system for the Space Rapid Capabilities Office (RCO). The Space RCO is rapidly developing and fielding highly classified critical space capabilities for the space enterprise. The Ground Systems Engineer will actively participate in all phases of ground development to ensure operationally dominant space capabilities are delivered at the speed of warfighting relevance. This includes technical support for vehicle to ground system integration, as well as providing engineering support and contractor oversight of the acquisition and evolution of telemetry, tracking and control systems and support for operations readiness and on-orbit operations.
This is an on-site position in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Work closely with members of a diverse team of military, government civilians, prime contractors, SE&I contractors, FFRDCs and National Laboratories to field a highly classified critical system
- Support program reviews, design, development, test, and transition to operations efforts
- Work closely with Program Manager (O-5)
- Routinely present status updates to Senior Material Leaders (O-6) and Space RCO Director (SES-2)
- Identify risk areas and mitigation efforts to meet mission objectives
- Collaborate with multiple government agencies to provide capability to the warfighter
- Understand and ensure implementation of requirements for ground system design, mission concept of operations, prototype and test, initial flight checkout, flight operations, and operational transition support
- Integration of Aerospace knowledge and analysis to provide responsive recommendations to the customer leadership
- Integrate and demonstrate all aspects/functions/capability of the Aerospace Corporation in implementing the mission portfolio through virtual teaming, backplane engagement, ETG matrix, etc.
What You Need to be Successful
- BS degree in engineering, mathematics, physical sciences or related technical field is required
- Experience with cloud / hybrid cloud development
- Experience with the Space Force Enterprise Ground Services (EGS) for satellite Command and Control (C2)
- Proficiency in programming and troubleshooting Front End Processors (FEPs) and cryptographic units
- 12 or more years of progressively responsible experience in systems engineering, program management, or other space related technical fields.
- Demonstrated ability to form and lead teams
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly dynamic Program Office environment with a mix of government, FFRDC, and SETA personnel
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills; experience presenting and writing technical information
- Travel is required (less than 25%)
- This position requires the ability to have and maintain a current TS/SCI security clearance, which is issued by the US Government. U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
How You Can Stand Out
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
- Advanced degree in technical subject area (engineering, science or math)
- Systems Engineering experience with rapid operational systems
- An excellent personal technical reputation and a record of personal technical achievement
- Program office and management experience
- Working knowledge of expertise from across the Aerospace corporation, especially subject matter experts and laboratory operations with the ability to support customer needs
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan — Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other—the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you’re an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also review Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.