Be more than just an employee number! Join Terran Orbital, a leader in innovation, manufacturing, and operations in the satellite industry. We are a pioneer in the miniaturization of space technologies and the delivery of responsive space solutions. We are a unique, fast-growing, and trusted team focused on quickly and economically designing, building, launching, and operating state-of-the-art satellites for advanced mission constellations.
Terran Orbital seeks a team-oriented and results-driven Lead Manufacturing Engineer
to develop and implement optimal, cost-effective manufacturing processes and methods in accordance with product specifications and quality standards. This role will manage our module assembly manufacturing engineers' day-to-day operations and their projects and coordinate activities with various stakeholders. This role will support manufacturing issues on existing product designs and new satellite mechanisms early in the design phase and provide critical design for manufacturability input while developing and implementing the plan to move from design/test into build/production.
Key Duties And Responsibilities
- Execute, maintain, and evolve the company manufacturing strategy and technology roadmap in line with Terran Orbital strategy
- Lead a team of electro-mechanical assembly engineers in their day-to-day operations and project/improvement initiatives
- Design and implement the production floor layout as it relates to manufacturing flight hardware
- Identify capital tooling and work center capability needs and lead the efforts of standing up key production capabilities
- Develop manufacturing processes, process improvements, and provide related technical support
- Work closely with development and design engineers to make parts designed for manufacturability, reliability, source-ability, etc.
- Lead team in production readiness reviews for the transition from development into full-rate program production
- Advise team members on technical decisions related to the team’s product.
- Resolve and analyze manufacturing and test discrepancies while interfacing with the quality team (resolving issues for design, fabrication, and assembly)
- Drive continuous process improvements to focus on cost reduction in every element of the production processes
- Troubleshoot and diagnose problems with existing processes or products and makes modifications and improvements as needed
Qualifications And Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in manufacturing, mechanical, aerospace, or other related technical fields.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in a manufacturing engineering function within a high-reliability manufacturing environment, at least two (2) of which should be in electronics or space hardware build and development
- Design software experience (AutoCAD or SolidWorks preferred)
- Highly self-motivated and organized with strong written and oral communication skills
- Able to work well in an integrated team, including daily interactions with technicians, engineers, and managers
- Demonstrated experience working in a highly adaptive and iterative environment.
- Experience transitioning products from design to manufacturing and scaling to volume as part of a cross-functional team
- Demonstrated achievements of rapidly improving productivity through process improvements while focusing on product reliability and mission success.
- Experience with process development, facility, and line layouts, PFMEA, error-proofing, lean manufacturing, and implementing automation into production processes
- Experience with design for manufacturability, assembly, reliability
- Extensive experience justifying and successfully implementing capital projects, such as onboarding ERP/MES, establishing new work center stations, or qualifying new manufacturing equipment and processes
An employee must meet the physical demands described to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. In performing the duties of this job, the employee is routinely required to sit or stand for long durations of time, in addition to bending, reaching, and walking. This would require the ability to lift or move objects up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift or move objects up to 25 pounds. This position is generally sedentary, with substantial computer usage.
The job operates in a professional office environment but in a manufacturing company. This job routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and scanners.
To comply with U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
- 100% Company-paid comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage for you and your dependents
- Employee Equity Incentive Program
- 401(k) Match
- Unlimited PTOSalary Range
Your actual level and base salary will be determined case-by-case and may vary based on the job-related qualification, knowledge, skills, education, and experience. In addition to base salary, we offer equity for each employee, 100% covered medical, dental, and vision coverage, a 401(k) match, unlimited flex time off, covered life insurance, maternity and paternity leave, tuition reimbursement, employee referrals, and lots of swag!
About Terran Orbital
Terran Orbital is a leading manufacturer of satellite products primarily serving the aerospace and defense industries. Terran Orbital provides end-to-end satellite solutions by combining satellite design, production, launch planning, mission operations, and on-orbit support to meet the needs of the most demanding military, civil, and commercial customers. Learn more at www.terranorbital.com
Terran Orbital is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or membership in any other group protected by federal, state, or local law.