The Aerospace Corporation is the trusted partner to the nation’s space programs, solving the hardest problems and providing unmatched technical expertise. As the operator of a federally funded research and development center (FFRDC), we are broadly engaged across all aspects of space— delivering innovative solutions that span satellite, launch, ground, and cyber systems for defense, civil and commercial customers. When you join our team, you’ll be part of a special collection of problem solvers, thought leaders, and innovators. Join us and take your place in space.
At Aerospace, we are committed to providing an inclusive and diverse workplace for all employees to share in our common passion and aspiration – to carry out a mission much bigger than ourselves.
The Office of the General Counsel and Secretary, which reports directly to the CEO, is responsible for providing objective, independent legal services to the corporation at the senior management level. The Office is committed to providing sound judgment, thoughtful analysis, and constructive advice on legal, ethics, and compliance matters through effective communication. The corporate secretary function serves as a focal point for communication with the Board of Trustees and its committees, ensures that the board has proper advice and resources for discharging its responsibilities, documents the actions and decisions of the board, and maintains custody of corporate records.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President, General Counsel, and Corporate Secretary, the Deputy General Counsel will partner with the General Counsel to develop legal strategies and solutions in respond to critical business needs and challenges. The Deputy will lead a team of six attorneys, two paralegals, and administrative staff-located mainly in California and Virginia.
This is a unique and exciting opportunity for a highly motivated, hands-on attorney passionate about joining a tight-knit, collegial legal department working in a fast-paced environment and on cutting-edge issues facing the increasingly dynamic space industry. The Aerospace Corporation is an intellectually challenging organization, and the successful candidate will not only work with some of the brightest people in the aerospace industry, and they will also be involved with cutting edge space technology.
This position is strongly preferable for locations in California or Virginia, but options for remote work may be considered.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Serve as a trusted advisor on legal and compliance matters impacting the organization.
- Partners closely with senior management to support the legal and business needs of the Aerospace Corporation and further the mission of the organization and its customers.
- Support the General Counsel in the development and implementation of legal management systems and procedures to improve office efficiency, communication, and cost management.
- Handle the organization’s transactional, governance, compliance, labor and employment and litigation matters.
- Assess and manage risks and potential liabilities inherent in or arising out of the organization’s operations and engagements.
- Serve as the organization’s chief privacy officer.
- Retain and manage outside counsel to ensure the provision of client-centered, high quality and cost-effective legal services.
- Manage, mentor, and provide career development to law department staff.
- Prepare and manage the operations budget for the Office of General Counsel.
- Represent the Office of General Counsel on selected internal committees.
- Ensure regulatory compliance and risk mitigation throughout the organization.
What You Need to be Successful
- Juris Doctor from a top tier accredited law school with a strong academic record.
- Twelve or more years of legal experience practicing in-house or at a law firm.
- Bar membership is in good standing. Membership in one state is required, preferably in California or Virginia.
- Experience managing and developing a legal services function and selecting and managing outside counsel.
- Experience working with government agencies.
- Experience overseeing and advising on business transactions, which may include contracts involving federal agencies and/or federal funding including FAR, DFARS, and ITAR.
- Knowledge of laws and regulations applicable to various types of federal contracts.
- Experience or willingness to develop expertise in data privacy and cybersecurity.
- TS/SCI Security clearance OR the ability to obtain and sustain needed clearances. This requires US citizenship.
- Ability to travel.
How You Can Stand Out
It would be impressive if you have one or more of these:
- Experience working for or with a FFRDC or similar organization.
- Experience implementing legal operations processes and technology solutions.
- Understanding of nonprofit organizations.
- Experience in the following legal areas:
- Litigation management
- Employment and labor law, including labor union negotiations
- Intellectual property and technology transfer, particularly in the context of partnerships with industry.
- Demonstrates ability to develop a vision and execute strategies
- Anticipates and generates solutions ahead of need
- Pivots with agility when circumstances change
Engages with Impact
- Effectively communicates with purpose, clarity, and authenticity
- Builds trust, inspires others, and develops top talent for growth and leadership succession
- Collaborates to generate optimal enterprise solutions
- Motivates people to thrive in the face of uncertainty
- Effectively navigates with multiple stakeholders whose interests are not always aligned
- Creates an environment where it is safe to challenge the status quo, experiment, and take risks
- Champions diversity and inclusion
- Makes decisions with an enterprise mindset that considers operational and financial factors
We offer a competitive compensation package where you’ll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. The grade-based pay range for this job is listed below. Individual salaries within that range are determined through a wide variety of factors including but not limited to education, experience, knowledge and skills.
(Min - Mid - Max)
$290,000 - $302,500 - $315,000
Pay Basis: Annual
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide details of our industry-leading benefits.
Benefits vary and are applicable based on Job Type. A few highlights include:
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans
- Paid holidays, sick time, and vacation
- Standard and alternate work schedules, including telework options
- 401(k) Plan — Employees receive a total company-paid benefit of 8%, 10%, or 12% of eligible compensation based on years of service and matching contributions; employees are immediately eligible and vested in the plan upon hire
- Flexible spending accounts
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Relocation assistance
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career
- Education assistance programs
- An inclusive work environment built on teamwork, flexibility, and respect
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other—the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you’re an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also review Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.